1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

whats your repair skill level on small engines? trimmers, blowers etc....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jul 1, 2008.

whats your skill level at repair? 1 being lowest and 10 highest.

1. 1-2. i'm a newbie.

1 vote(s)
  2. 3-4. i can change an air filter.

9 vote(s)
  3. 5-6. i can clean an exhaust port.

11 vote(s)
  4. 7-8. i can rebuild a carb.

10 vote(s)
  5. 9-10. there is nothing i dont know how to do.

22 vote(s)
  1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

just wanted to start a thread on the skill levels of repair work each of us have on small engines. you know, trimmers, blowers, stuff like that. anyway, lets hear em.

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

lately, the way things are going, i am learning how to fix things then taking it in to the repair shop!
  3. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

In this business you have to know how to work on your own equipment. If you are always going to the dealer you'll go bankrupt.
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

For me, I love welding, wrenching and just getting dirty. :D Worked on autos for 30 years. I could probably walk in most any of the companies that make the mowers we use and start welding the decks, assembling everything, pretty much all of it. Mechanic's really isn't that hard, righty tighty, lefty loosy... :D

I also know enough to wire a house by code, or plumb in new water lines, I've even put a small addition on a previous home I owned all the way from the footers up. After 30 years, my index and middle fingernails are twisted when my fingers are straight. LOL Turned way to many nuts and bolts in my time.

Working on my mower is like a walk in the park. :D
  5. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Small engine repair is not rocket science. But there are lots of things that can go wrong.
    The Internet has a wealth of knowledge on parts, repairs, and diagrams available.

But there is no substitute for experience. If you have not actuarially preformed a specifies repair, don't thing there all the same. After 2 or 3 rebuilds your confidence increases and so are your chances to screw up big time on a customers motor/mower.

I have 35 years of maintenance and repair of many types of production line equipment. Much of the some 25 spark plug powered units i have in my equipment list and some 45 tires that seem to go flat as well as 12 batteries just waiting to go dead. Its all in your experience. Because experience is one hell of a teacher.
  6. Blunt

Blunt LawnSite Member

So far i have been unable to find more than1 competent or honest small engine repair shop in my area. (Mid coast maine brunswick area) I have learned to avoid all dealers in my area like the plague. many will charge to inspect you're engine and then tell you the piston has a whole or is frozen. At wich point I bring it home replace the broke plug wire I installed and keep going until some new place opens up for me to try. As have learned the hard way most business men/woman are scumbags and its best not to turn your back on them.
  7. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I don't know too much, but my techs are awesome!
  8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none, wait a second, I guess I'm a master Gardner.

I might need to redo that saying as I'm passing myself off as a professional. :hammerhead:
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I learned a good while back to work on my equipment. When I first start my instinct was to run to the shop when something went wrong. Now I have electrical test lights and a good many tools to get the job done--carb(weedeater, blowers, hedge trimmer only), muffler, starter, solenoids etc. Saves downtime and money thats for sure. I do know when I am in over my head though
  10. sumovato

sumovato LawnSite Member

While i am very handy with vehicles.. .my fat hands dont do so well with the small engines... or for that fact new vehicles.