1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's your routine?...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DPruett2333, Nov 12, 2003.

1. DPruett2333

DPruett2333 LawnSite Member

Right when you first get to someone's lawn, what do you do first? Do you mow everything first, then trim? Do you trim and then mow, etc? Or do you sit in your truck for 10 minutes not wanting to mow at all? Just wondering...
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow, trim, blow. Then double check.
  3. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

trim, mow, blow
    Sometimes trim, blow, mow, blow, if I need to blow junk on the lawn before I mow. Which is much easyer on the small full service lawns.
  4. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

trim, edge, mow, and blow. sometimes do an extra blow after i trim and edge if it needs it.
  5. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

mow edge trim blow collect n go
  6. moaman

moaman LawnSite Member

trim mow blow then go
  7. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Edge (running..get a little tired)
    mow(take a break and ride on the mower)
    trim(run again)
    blow (alot easier cuz I know I'm done)
  8. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I trim, mow and blow. Trim going in a direction that throws the clippings into the yard...then they get mulched up with the mower. It looks a bunch better and I can give myself clearance around trees, beds etc. for the mower.
  9. Ha Ha..Pretty funny! Or is it a case of "burnout" at age 18?

Here's how we do it. It's my son and me.
    One trims, the other mows.
    I want to use the biggest mower I can in an area first. It maximizes big mower usage plus then we can see what remains to be trimmed.
    My son with 15 years experience has a different scenario. He takes a trim mower in a hell-bent attempt to mow a halo around every object in the lawn before I can get too it.
    By the time the race is over the lawn is mowed.
    On the next lawn we reverse rolls, but the game's the same.

The one rule is we must finish TOGETHER. So if one is trimming and getting too far ahead, that person must stop with the trim mower and run the line trimmer or WB. (We've been at this too long and can tell if the other person is nursing his job to stretch it out to fit.) We usually finish within seconds of each other.

We mow/trim/edge/blow 10 acres/hr with this system. It's prolly silly to behave like this. But it breaks the monotony and encourages productivity.

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Fall work is as follows:

Edge, trim, blow everything into yard, mow, then do a final blow.

If it ever cools down we'll be able to skip the "trim" operation.