Whats your take on this?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Craftybigdog, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Alright, I have a John Deere 317 skidsteer and Im looking to upgrade to a 325 I need more lift capacity and the 2 speed for the winter for plowing. But Ive also been looking at the Bobcat S300. Its not alot more than the 325 and a whole lot more lift. What are your opinions on this ? Will a larger skid push alot more snow? Thanks alot

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

How much more lift capacity do you need? How much truck-loading do you do? Do you lift pallets a lot?

3. Craftybigdog

A full pallet of stone, or more.

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcat said it all. You first need to determine the job functions you will mostly be doing. Deere and New Hollands are excellent lifting machines. For grading and digging they can work their way out of a wet paper bag. They are cumbersome, inaccurate as hell, and subject to alot of maintenance due to all the funky hinges. And, they still use yankem sticks and foot petals to turn with which was outdated 10 years ago.
    They actually use the cab as ridiculous as it may seem to steady the boom as it lifts, and when the hinge and pivot bushings wear, it is very easy to bind one up or turn it on it's side.

If you are lifting mostly, the Deere would be a good choice. If you are going to dig and grade, and lift occasionally, go with the Bobcat. Niether is my personal choice, as all we buy are Caterpillar products.

5. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

If you're in no rush, wait a little bit... I think Bobcat may be looking at a line replacement, and the thread on the C-series hints at some changes as well.

If you're in a rush, and all you do is unload pallets, sorry, but the Deere is going to be stellar machine for that. At truck-bed height, it will outlift every machine in its class... and some machines above it. Just for fun, here's the link again. (I know test conditions may not be perfect, but Deere has a lifting linkage. And a pushing linkage. So it will have the advantage in most cases while lifting.)

http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/digdeeper/archive/heavyweight_champion.html
    (Hmm, I think maybe that link just killed any chances of his buying a Bobcat... :( But the point is, 4400 pounds on a pallet is pretttty heavy. Most pallets are less than 3,000 pounds, and the S300, in theory, should not have a problem setting pallets on a 24" load center.)

But I suggest Case, Bobcat, or Cat for everything else.

6. Craftybigdog

Man I sat in a T-250 today just to get the feel and I must give Bobcat this there steers are refined man was it nice. Im not gonna make a decsion till I have signed contracts for snow so it wont be till the end of Novemeber probably. I have them let me Demo a S220 with the pilot controls this weekend.

7. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

Have you tried sitting in a Cat? (Cabs are pretty nice... pilot controls are, well, smooooth.) Let us know how the S220 demo goes.

8. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep in mind the pilot controls in a Bobcat are electric over hydraulic. They are not as sensitive as a Cat, and the feel you will get is they are either off, or on, no medium.