What's your un-cut circle diameter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by unit40, Mar 29, 2008.

1. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

I know a ZTR can merely spin around in its own length, but what is the smallest diameter circle you can maneuver them around? For example, a six inch diameter flagpole?

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Wow, I totally expected this to be an R-rated thread by the title....;)

The smallest thing would really just depend on how much you want to slow down. But if you're already gonna have it hit it with the trimmer, why slow down to get super close to it. It would only take a second to trim either way.

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

oh and FYI, I'm cut, so I couldnt tell you what my uncut diameter would be. Really big though. Think Summer Sausage. :drinkup:

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

omg i could a told you not to order them pills btw if it lasts over 4 hours u have to go see the doctor and I probably shouldn't laugh but it is kinda funny

5. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

It really is a serious question, because a lot of ZTR's can't negotiate a real tight circle around an obstacle. I'm wondering what your machines realistically can do without doing any damage to the lawn, the obstacle. or hitting the obstacle or running over the mulch ring with a tire, etc.. Like my example above, my machine can flawlessly cut around a six inch diameter object. That is a continuous cut with no backing or repositioning, etc. What can your machine do?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Stick a pencil in the ground, and I'll mow around it.

7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

When it gets to a certian point if you really feel the need to get as close as possible all you must do is drive away from the object slightly and then go back with the inside tire which is going to take a couple extra seconds rather then just going around it and trimming it after.

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

You can cut around a tiny object, however, your inside tire will tear up the lawn. The inside tire will be grinding since it is not rolling. That is why we create big mulch rings around these obsticles...less tearing or trimming.

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

We're talking about trim overhang here folks. Also proximity of the rear tire to the back of the deck. If your deck is left offset and tight against the drive tires you're going to get the best results mowing in a circle around any object.

This comes in handy around mulch rings because you don't disturb the mulch or leave the inside tire scuff. Other than that I don't consider it to be important in a commercial machine. A centered deck and wide rear track will stripe the nicest.

10. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

What type of machine are you using to mow around that pencil?