What's your way of bating for ants inside and out?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by spray_man, Jun 15, 2008.

1. spray_man

spray_man LawnSite Member

Squirting the tree branches works fine, but is wasteful, and susceptible to rain. I can't find a bait tube or station I like/that works. Also having trouble finding good bait trays for inside the house. The ones that work do not come with a top cover. The ants do not like the "closed on one end" tube type stations I used in the past.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Spray Man

Don't forget Baits take up to 6 weeks to work. Liquid Baits are more effective on worker Ants because Adult Ants can not digest Solid Food. Queen Ants only eat the Honey Dew of the Lava. Therefore only slow poisons are the only kind to get to the Queen. Only by understanding the Life Cycle of each species can you control them. Not all species have the same life cycle.

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I ate some birthday cake and left the paper plate next to a window inside the house. Overnight, dozens of tiny black ants climbed through the screen and were covering the plate (inside the house). So I sprayed Crosscheck very heavy all around the perimeter of the house. Ate cake again the next day -- left it overnight, but the next morning....no more ants. Not sure how long Crosscheck will last, so I plan to spray at least once a month.

I like Sevin dust, but liquid Crosscheck is an immediate solution for most ants we have around here.

4. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

I quit using baits for ant control on interior customers when Termidor and Phantom came out. Now Phantom is labeled for the interior as well as the exterior perimeter.
    Phantom is working great for me on all species of ants that I deal with. Follow the label for application, give it a couple of days and problem is solved.

5. the angler

the angler LawnSite Member

i found that with my little girl throwing her suckers under the fish tank and my desk the ants stay out of sight hahah they love purple suckers

6. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Often the colonies are in the structure , walls and then bait is needed .

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Arizpestweedhead

While I am a Believer in baits, both Termidor and Phantom will control insects behind walls because it is carried back to the colony and the Queen or QUEENS. Products like CrossCheck, Talstar are good for preventative treatments because of their repellent effects keep insects from entering a structure. However given a Multiply Queen species like Pharaoh ants an initial treatment of a Repellent insecticide will cause BUDDING of the colony and a much bigger problem. Budding is when a Multiply Queen Colony spits into many One Queen Colonies that start to produce more Queens. The mortality of worker Ants cause this and the repellent effect keeps the Colony and workers behind walls and out of sight while the Colony or Colonies grow increasingly bigger. As in all pest control Identification and understanding of the species you are trying to control is of most important. The TrueGreen ChemLawn approach of just spray it with CrossCheck-Talstar cause more problems than we have time to discuss here. I have seen a 30 year veteran of TrueGreen use his well polished selling skills and lack of real education to mistreat. When informed of this type of control problem, It is unfortunate that many of these types only see it as a way of charging the customer more money and not curing the problem. They continue to run their mouth with misinformation.

BTW The Reason I didn't answer Termidor and Phantom in my first post was because of the way the question was asked.

8. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a trail of ants in , on kitchen counter top area , , can't use T or P

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ric -- hope you're not talkin' about me as I have never worked for TruGreen (duh), but I assume you are, cuz the I am the only person with 30 years (or more) experience in this industry that you have attempted to badmouth on this site on a somewhat regular basis. It all started when I knew more about hydracell pumps than you, but you never admitted that.........I actually sold two of these to lawnsite members (duh).

Sarcastic phrases like "well-polished skills and lack of education" ---- what are you now trying to contribute to this site??? I know. It's your continued NEGATIVITY toward others.

How do you personally know what the TruGreen/ChemLawn approach is? Got pics?:laugh:

Your solution regarding ant control is vague, yet you always find time to pick on others. Ric -- YOU are the one who keeps running his mouith as well as giving out misinformation --- look in the mirror. Do you really think you are winning favors on this site by offering hatred as well as misinformation? I admit that I make HONEST mistakes, but I am the first to admit them.

Getting to the subject: 'tapimoma sessile' (odorous house ant) is the pest I mentioned. Here's a link. http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iin

Bottom line: Your info regarding control was incorrect. You also assumed my diagnosis was incorrect. You also assumed the pesticide was incorrect.

I'll back off when you finally admit you do not know everything. But in the meantime, I'll trust my land grant university.:walking:

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Arizpestweedhead

No you can't and shouldn't apply pesticide to food surfaces. You just have to chase down a better spot. T & P work a lot faster than Baits. I am not against Baits. White Foot Ants are a real PITA and Baits are a great tool. I tell all my friends and customers to use Baits as preventative.

America

You appear to be a little thin skinned.