Whats your yearly maintiance cost?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swim, Mar 11, 2004.

1. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I was reading a thread that was talking about getting started and someone commented on the yearly maintenance cost of their equipment of about $2000 and how much it cost per hour in the shop $25 to $35.

They seemed to think that was a lot of money. To me this is low. I had more than that on my taxes this year and nothing major broke. Just the basics like mower blades oil filters, plugs trimmer line. Things that are basic wear and tare. Maybe a belt or 2, and I do all the work myself. My dealer gets $55 per hour. If you can't do it yourself then at that price you learn to and yes I do a lot of business with my dealer and I know about overhead.

How much is your equipment maintenance cost per year? Not counting trucks and trailers or shops. Just mowers trimmers and blowers.

To keep it in perspective I maintain 3 trimmers, a blower, a 60in mower, and a 52in mower.
  2. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Thats hard to figure, preventative maint. is one thing but the unknowns are just that, unknown. I broke a trimmer last fall and it cost $6 less than the price of a new one to repair. I buy oil and filters by the case, to reduce cost. Grease is cheap. I got 2 seasons on the belts on one mower so that was a little savings. But on the other hand I did have to buy new tires.
    A quick glance of the books shows about 940.00 this includes 3 mowers, 3 blowers, 2 trimmers, chainsaw, gas hedge trimmer. And one set of trailer bearings. But I did screw a few things up that I shouldnt have.