1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats yrou best form of advertising?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Jun 6, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this topic has been beat to death, but im curious to know induviduals best form of advertising. I have a trailer sign and Ive passed out 3k door hangers. Im at 11 accounts right now and need about 20. Most of my doorhangers got me alot of one time only small jobs. My trailer sign hasnt gotten anything for me.
    I was thinking of getting 10 road signs.
    Before you got in the phonebook or into bulk mailing, What did you do?
  2. franky

franky LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Are you in a large city or small? When I did flyers years ago I got about 2% from them.
  3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in a fairly large city.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

What works for me may NOT work for you....

We ran a rodio ad a while back and got around 35 from that....

however timming was right....

about 25 per season from newspaper ads..

5 to 8 word of mouth.
    Never went out and put door hangers on doors. other than while we were at a site and seen other proptries we would place one or two
  5. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if you notice this, but my best customers seem to come via word of mouth.

I've done hundreds of brochures each year - maybe 5-6 customers per 100 brochures; pretty low return there.

I've also gotten a good number from yard signs.

It does depend a good deal on location, though.
  6. MatthewVersteeg

MatthewVersteeg LawnSite Member

1. Referral marketing- getting the neighbors of all of our current clients signed up (saves HUGE on gas too when you dominate an entire area rather than running all over town)
    2. Direct mail to new homeowners and certain targets with existing homeowners. We do not do big full color postcard slams; they have never gotten close to the return with our "secret" direct mailings we've came up with.
    3. Our own customer newsletter and client gifts
    4. Truck signage, and then print ads

Anything is worth testing, at least once!

-Matthew Versteeg
  7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Not that I have done this....but, I know it works. I know how you can get the number of accounts you need in about 2 days. Go door to door and actually talk to the homeowner. If you have ANY sales skills at all, you will get your accounts. You may have to knock on a few doors, but I bet you could get 9 more accounts in one day. Go for it.
  8. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

lol seems like I'm always pushing this but if you've got a website, live in a large city then advertise online.

I advertise on craigslist and google. Craigslist is free of course. Google brings me about a "clicks to new customer" ratio of about 8 to 1. So basically I spent around $12 to get a customer. The money is covered within the first service obviously.

Its the way to go. 15 new customers (not estimates) in this week alone.
  9. Ford2000

Ford2000 LawnSite Member

I never get anything from craiglist.Have no idea why.
  10. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

My customers property, after I finish and pull away.