wheat straw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenman, Sep 28, 2002.

1. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I done a search but could not find my answer. I topdressed my newly seeded fescue with wheatstraw. I was told that the straw was "early" but it would be okay to use it. It has been a week and now I have wheat popping up all over:( . I went back to the place I bought it from and explained. All they said was that I would have to deal with it and that it would not die out until next summer:mad: They told me just to keep it cut low. I don't think they are completely correct. How can it withstand the winter? I have heard of winter wheat. Please help.

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I finally did find some info on this, a thread way back in 2000. So I guess I am going to have to deal with the wheat after all. Unless anyone knows how I can control it or get rid of it without killing the tall fescue. The fescue in some places is barely staring to pop up unless I am seeing wheat(I thought tall fescue took a while longer). Since the fescue seeds now have good soil contact due to watering could I not lightly rake the straw out and get rid of it to keep from anymore wheat seeds germinating or is too late for that? Man, I would rather use old hay than use fresh straw. I can kill out the weeds from the old hay.:(

3. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Leave the straw, you've waited too late to do any good removing it. Small-grain straw will always have some unthreshed grain left in it. Just throw a little nitrogen on and maybe you'll make a good crop.:D

4. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

You will have to keep it cut, but don't cut it low. It will start to die in mid spring.

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Wheat is a winter annual, starts to grow good in fall and again in spring, and dies in heat of summer. Up here, it does not grow very tall above the seeded grasses in the fall. But in the spring, it will really take off. Put off mowing, let the wheat get up to 9"-12", and use a wick application of Roundup to get rid of the wheat quicker than the natural way.

Perhaps down there, you might get enough growth this fall to do that. When using straw, I always tell client that they are getting wheat for free. Until the 1920s, wheat was sown in a turfgrass planting to stabilize the soil - you saw how quick it came up! Wheat was dropped from turf seeding around then to save money.

Last time I got clean straw, with no wheat seeds, was around 1978.

And most all your wheat has already germinated. Trying to rake off the straw will damage your grass that is germinated or close to it.

6. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

next time you buy straw off a farmer check out his equipment and see if his combine is not some old pice of crap. all of the straw of my dads i sold has had no problem... its because of being thrown out of the back of quality 9650 sts JD!

7. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not take a shovel and remove the freakin thing ? remove the roots and all and put some new soil in and more seed and problems solved.