wheel motor leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EMJ, Dec 1, 2007.

1. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I have a Scag Truf Tiger with a leaky wheel motor. Do they make a rebuild kit for these? It is a model year 2000. Is it recommened to replace the pump also?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at a TT parts break-down and they only showed a kit for the pump.

Jack the wheel off the ground and see if it has any up/down movement. If it does it most likely has metal shavings and internal damage, Then it would be a good idea to replace.

If it has no movement you may be able to get the manufacturer's name and any numbers off it and contact them for a repair/seal kit.

Then just flush the entire system and replace any filters.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have a leaky one and it is porter.....I can get bearings and seal but isn't it likely that the mating part that runs in the bearings will be damaged and it will still leak? The mating part cost $140. Mine is on scag wb and I was trying to see if anybody ever just put bearing in. I haven't taken mine apart yet.

4. Restrorob

Well ed, I haven't been into a porter so the only thing I can suggest is to perform a tear-down inspection and see what damage has accured. If the mating and internal surfaces/parts look OK try just a bearing/seal kit, If there is anything questionable then replace the whole unit.

5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

if the wheel motor is gone metal will get into the pump, if you replace the wheel motor and not the pump then the metal will get back into the new wheel motor and ruin it. Replace both. Thats my story and im stickin to it

6. Restrorob

IF, The hydro tank is removed cleaned/flushed and ALL hydro lines/pump flushed and filter(s) replaced there is a slimmer chance of this happening.

I have many units in the field with only one or the other replaced using this procedure performed as Directed by OEM's.

That's MY story and I'm sticking to it.....

7. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

Well that being said. I have two motors and two pumps. But there is only one tank and filter. So would the metal make it to the other side, seeing how they both use the same oil tank and filter.

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

it wont make it by the filter hopefully, so the other side should be protected. ROb the key word you used was "slimmer chance" at the cost of wheel motors and pumps I personally wouldnt chance it. I speak from experience with this happening 2 times to me. Wheel motor went, replaced flushed etc. Can't clean it all brother- Pump went and when the pump went it sent fillings into the new wheel motor so it went also. So getting back to my original point. You know the wheel motor is junk, you dont know how long fileings(sp?) have been getting into the pump, maybe it was the pumps metal that was ruining the wheel motor, but the wheel motor is showing signs first. I personally would not chance it. Replace them both at the same time and hoses. At the extra cost for the pump compare it to the additional down time if it fails on the back corner of a huge property.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I had a brain short....the motor is a Parker. I pulled it apart and the outside bearing is shot but the mating shaft looks ok(obviously it probably has a couple thousands wear but not much). What is puzzling is there is seal that is on the inside of this bearing and no seal on the outside? That would mean this bearing is running without out lube?? Or the seal on the out side was tore up and all gone but that doesn't seem likely. The bearing is a needle bearing. Might get the bearing and take it in to lawn shop because that bearing looks like it might be difficult to get out(just shell remaining) and new one might be hard to press in....any thoughts on that?

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I already replaced the wheel motor on this unit two years ago and had no problem and didn't flush anything. The reason there is low risk is the failure is on the outer bearing and there is a seal between it and he rest of the wheel mechanism where the oil is circulated. The highest risk is in getting debris into the unit while in the repair process in taking it apart. But I have little experience with these. I will flush the tank and put in new oil and a new filter and clean out the lines on this wheel.....any way to flush a pump?
    Like could I put oil in it and turn it manually to flush it out?