Wheel motor problems Lazer Z?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by steve122, Jul 11, 2002.

1. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

Does anyone else out there have problems with wheel motors on 27hp lazer z's? If I take the machine on a steep hill and try to go straight up and down it works fine. If I have to cut across the face of the hill the lower wheel motor stops turning. If I have to turn on the side of a hill and start back up, the machine want's to stop moving also. Lase year I bought 2 machines. Within 1 week one of the machines was back at the dealer and I put 160 hours on their new loaner before mine was fixed. They would put a wheel motor on it, I'd pick it up, use it one day and take it back. 4 wheel motors later they got one that worked. At one point the dealer told me that Exmark said they wouldn't replace anymore wheel motors on that machine. The dealer assured me they would make sure the machine was right. They (the dealer) have been fantastic thru this whole thing.
    This year I bought 3 more. Used one once, took it to the dealer for same problem. 3 trips later its usable but I still don't think the wheel motor is right. Their fix was to swap both motrs side to side and see if I'd notice a difference. The machine still comes to a crawl on the face of a hill. Now one of the other one's I purchased this year is at the shop with problems. The dealer is telling me that the pressures on the pump are all within specs and the wheel motors seem to be in working order they think the problem is the fact that Exmark has started to install pressure relief valves in the wheel motors and that when the weight of the machine is basicaly on one wheel, the lower wheel when going across the face of a hill, the relief valve opens before the pump can develop enough pressure to move the machine. Exmark, what's going on? We mow enough levees and hill that this is unacceptable. Help.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Steve,

We probably need to get with your dealer and find out exactly what he found with in the wheel motors that were replaced as well as a few more details on the way the machine was reacting in different conditions. We should also get some more information regarding the conditions your cutting in.

If you could please e-mail or call me with the name of your dealer as well as the serial numbers for your units it would help us a great deal in determining what is occurring with your hydro drive system.

I can be reached at terry.eckert@exmark.com or by phone at 800-667-5296.
    Thanks

Terry

3. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

Terry, I took the Lazer in to the dealer the week after you spoke with them (Wm. Nobbe & Co.). I called them on Wed. the 24th and asked if it was ready. Service manager wasn't there, no one new exact status but I was told they were waiting on parts from Exmark. Will get back to you again, after I get machine back.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Steve,

Thank you for your patience. We think we have a handle on what's going on with your machine thanks in a large way to the guys at the dealership. They kinda went the extra mile, which was a major help, and allowed our hydro expert in engineering to get a better feel for what's happening. We did pull some parts directly from our inventory here. This allowed us to be certain they were up to standard and we can eliminate faulty components from the equation. Your original parts are being shipped back to our engineering department for evaluation. The smart guys act like they know what is going on so I'm hopeful we've got the problem whipped.

Thanks again for your patience.

Terry