1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wheel shimmy on 777

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heavenlydeere, Jul 5, 2005.

1. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

i could use some advice on correcting a shimmy problem on my jd 777, at top speed , on hard surfaces , if you hit any bump at all the castors start shimmying quite violently, it does it also if you go from sitting still to full speed and turn at all doing it ! any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I remember reading about that in my manual on the 737 and 717, I would think the 777 is similar. If I remember correctly, you had to pop the covers off the front casters and remove a cotter pin and tighten the bearing nut. I dont have the book right in front of me, just going from memory here. Will have to get the manual and re-read it to make sure before I look stupid! :rolleyes:
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

You have too much air pressure in the tires or not enough weight on the axle.
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, that could cause it too.
  5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

The original posts on this subject explained that the problem was a loose nut that hold the front wheel assembly to the mower. Take the top dust cover off of the assembly and tighten the nut down. Not sure what the reference point is for acceptable torgue values.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

So listen John Deere guys, do your ZTrac's have tapered roller bearings on the castors like my Lesco does? I actually have the opposite problem. My front castors are too stiff and don't turn freely.

The reason I asked if the JD has the tapered roller bearings is that to my understanding they need a specified amount of preload for long life. But I think mine have too much. So I was actually thinking about removing the grease caps to take a round or two off the jam nut to free my castors up some more.
  7. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience that condition means that the bearings are bad. May be able to tighten nut, but I'd pull everything apart first and grease it up good.