Wheel studs keep snapping

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Jan 8, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

What would cause wheel studs to keep snapping off every month or so on the front of my 1 ton. I jacked wheel up and spun it to see if rim was bent or out of round but doesnt seem to be. I tighten all lugs with my impact wrench same torque all my trucks, others OK. At least their easy to replace

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe they cant handle the torque, check the specs for that specific truck, also, maybe the lug nuts are wrong type for the rims, or your not getting the studs in straight and the nuts are putting uneven stress on the studs causing them to snap.. DId you try using neverseize on the threads befoer torquing... try a diff brand of studs....
  3. pjslawncare/landscap

What is neverseize and what does it do? If it keeps it from rusting or siezing to stud, that hasnt been a problem so far.
  4. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Are the wheels custom or OEM? If they're aluminum OEM, check for corrosion on the mating surface between the wheel and the hub. If they're custom, they may not be mating properly. Some wheels are stud centered, some are pilot centered. It's important to use the correct nuts with them either way. Also, TORQUE THEM TO SPECS. I cannot overemphasize how important proper wheel torque is. Too much or too little will cause this problem as well. A little antisieze on the threads will keep the studs and nuts from galling. HTH, David
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

Greendave, They are OEM steel rims. I replaced studs with different manufacture source. Went from Autozone to Car Quest.Hope this helps. We will see
  6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Might be just the brand of studs you're using. I 've snapped off cheap studs before ever even reaching the torque specs. Car Quest sells a better quality of part, generally than the other shade tree chains. If you want truck parts its always better to go to a commercial dealer, Napa, Car Quest etc. You get what ya pay for. Also always check your dealer. You'd be surprised at the low prices on some stuff. Its always worth a call anyway.
  7. Roger C

Roger C LawnSite Member

Check to see if your wheels require the steel ring between the wheel & the lug nuts.Make sure there's no rust build up on the inside of the wheel. Make sure the holes are not egg shaped. Make sure if there is a little guide pin on the back side of the wheel is linning up with the hole on the hub.Make sure to use neverseize,It helps keep threads clean & rust free,It also acts as a type of lock tight. Hope this helps.
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If the truck is old wheelstuds get fatigued and break especially if the wheels are stud pilot instead of hub pilot. Is this truck have dual wheels ? If they are stud pilot keep a eye on them make sure they are torqued up to the proper specs stud pilot duals have a tendency to work loose.

If you have hub pilot wheels with washer nuts like Ford and Dodge make sure you torque them to the spec's stamped on the nuts. Don't torque them anymore or anyless they need to be done properly to work properly.

There was a guy that got stuck in this area when he was passing through he was carrying a heavy load on his 1 ton Ford 4x4 he felt the truck shimmying so he pulled over to the side of the road. He pulled the wheel similator off the back wheels and found one side only had 2 nuts holding the wheels on the other 6 all snapped off.

He said its happened before and from the sounds of it he carries too much weight on the truck. It is pretty hard to break studs when you have hub pilot wheels and washer nuts.

When you do buy wheelstuds make sure you buy good quality ones.
  9. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

This may sound overly simplistic but assuming that the studs and nuts are in good shape and properly torqued ( several baps on an impact is not proper torque ) the wheel is moving around while in operation. All fasteners have extreme tensile strength but have relatively low shear strength. If the studs are subjected to side to side motion as in the wheel moving around during use they will most definitely fail again and again. I'm not there so its hard to say "this is the problem" but movement as described above will cause repeat failure. Some vehicles have two piece hubs with the studs pressing through both. These two pieces could be moving around also. Hope this helps.