Wheel Weights for Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ruben Rocha, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Toro Proline Walk Behind 36" with a 15 hp Kohler.
    My problem is the front castor wheels that pop wheelies when I make a turn,
    I am looking for a weight set for the front wheels. I was looking at the Exmark Wheel set to see if they fit my Toro but the local Exmark dealer has never even seen one much less sold one. Can anyone suggest if the exmark set will work on my toro or some other manufacturer to add weight to the front wheels.
    Thanks

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

As long as you have the same size metal for the connecting arms on your toro as the exmarks, then i think you will be all set, go to the dealer and get measurements from an exmark to see if they are the same as the toro. Good Luck, just my 2 cents.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Snapper 36" have a weight set that bolts on the deck, maybe you just have a big piece of metal welded to the front on the deck.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well I have the same problem with my 32" exmark walkbehind with velke. I was going to order the kit. But the $100 price tag for only 20 lbs of weight is too much. I plan to find a chunck of 2" by 2" b y 20" solid steel. Then weld it on the deck. Just haven't had the time to check the junk yards.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

100 bucks, don't follow my original advise. Do what Itsgottabegreen is doing. If i end up with this problem, thats what im doing.

6. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I guess it depends on how much weight you require. I didn't need that much weight I have a couple of steel discs that I've had for twenty years ( I don't throw anything away) and put them on the front, they weight about 13 lbs. each. I suppose you could use an anvil or weights from an exercise barbells you see lots of those in yard sales then you would have a set and adjust the amount as needed..

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

My 32 Bob-Cat has weights bolted inside the front of the deck, it still comes up sometimes.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get some steel blocks, about 5lb apiece. Bolt them on with U bolts. Never weld on the deck, it makes it to permanent and it will rust faster.
    John

9. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

i have a 36'' toro proline w/15hp kohler. i added toros weight kit. it bolts to front of the frame using 2 existing holes. its alot heavier than most weight kits but after adding it and using it for a few days i removed it on one yard to see the difference and after a couple of rows i was back at the trailer putting it back on. it makes a huge difference in my opinion. the toro part # at my dealer is 106-0820. it was $45.00, painted red and has the toro name on it.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 15hp 44" deck and still added a lead weight that I adapted very easily. There is a way to make the mower less jumpy if you have the hydro unit, read the manual. One other thing I did was to foam the front caster tires. I took them to a tire shop and they filled them with foam (do a search) these foamed tires weigh about 10lbs each when filled. It does help. If you can get friendly with an old plumber, he may be able to set you up with a slab of lead like mine. I painted it all Toro red. Go to this thread and look around.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=53023