Wheelbarrel full of rock

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Outdoor Creations, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Outdoor Creations

Outdoor Creations LawnSite Member

Just wondering on a bid I am doing, I cant use a skidsteer have to wheelbarrel the rock in. What would be a decent rate for doing this per yard???

2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

It depends if you have to go, travel time. Each yard should take on average 20 minutes or less to put down.

3. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

Twenty minutes for a yard of stone? That would be somthing to see. I ussally figre an hour per yard for mulch (From trailer, to installed raked etc.) & I believe that is pretty much industry standard (I know I can do about 2 per hour normally, but that's me hustling under ideal conditions). With out seeing the job site I couldn't tell you how long but definatly more than 20 minutes.

4. Travel'n Trees

Why? How do you do it?

5. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

if someone can do 10 yds of mulch in an hr, then 1 yd of stone in 20 min should be nothing.

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I can shovel, wheelbarrow and install about a ton an hour of stone without completely killing myself. I'm 40 and am reasonably fit for my age. If you're young and an animal, you can probably do more. If you're fat or just really out of shape, you'll do less.

7. anthonyr

anthonyr LawnSite Member

On a good day I can shovel about a yard of rock in about 20-30 minutes. Thats just throwing it out of the trailer where it will lay. If you plan on using a wheelbarrel, it will take you 2-3 times longer depending on how far you have to take the rock. Add time for hills, stairs, etc... Then, depending on how many yards, it will take longer because, well,.... it's exhausting!!! Make sure you have a really good wheelbarrel, cause rocks a lot heavier than you would think!!!

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Oh really? T
    Please tell me how many yards of rock you have loaded into a wheelbarrow, say from the ground into a wheelbarrow and moved and put down in 20 minutes?
    I say none.
    45 min to an hour or more, depending on site conditions, if it is coming off a truck into a wheelbarrow or off the ground into a wheelbarrow, if you are wheeling it uphill or down and distance you have to go and how strong you are, all factor into that equation. Eat your Wheaties and don't rush when you are hand moving rock.

9. Travel'n Trees

Sheshovel Out of a truck, scooping with a shovel is so much wasted time,and unprofessional, and if it was on the ground just load it in to a truck. I currently have 24 tons on the ground I will wheel and dump it one truck, use one loader to load truck and be done around 4-5 hours, easily with 4 people on the job. Mike why would you even use a trailer dump it in the back of a pickup truck it would be better, if you don't have a dump truck, I can do it any time in the next week if you want to come and learn, I have two more truck loads coming in the next week.

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Assuming River Rock

24 tons / 5 hours = 4.8 Tons per hour.

4.8 tons / 4 people = 1.2 tons per man hour.

Not quite 0.3 man hours per ton.

I think I would estimate 1 ton per hour and hope for 1.2.

Also with 4 guys it is easier. Two loading and two running. Not the same as a solo job.

The Devil is in the details.