wheelbarrel

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by stslawncare, Nov 6, 2001.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

Hey guys,
    Just wondering what you guys think is the best? How much money? what brand? what size? most of you guys use the two wheel ones?

2. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

i bought a 2 wheeler at tsc and i love it.holds 10 cuyd

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Jackson Bulldog 6 cu ft.

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

I've always liked jackson's, but they are a bit pricy and personally, not to sound like a pansy, they are heavy, at least the metal ones.

I got a true temper model and it has done very well. I like metal better because I'm always dropping blocks, rocks in them and the plastic ones tend to get smashed up pretty quick.

As for 2 wheelers, they are great for mulch, but not much else. I remember I had a few young guys working for one day on a planting job. I told them the single wheel is better and that if they use the double wheel, don't fill it up all the way..........well, being the "Macho" young guys they were and wanting to show off their beach muscle's, they decided to use the 2 wheeler.

Sure enough, they filled it so it was heeping over the top with top soil. Next thing I know, I'm watching this kid turn purple as he tried to push it up a hill in the mud. I had a real good laugh. Next time he only filled it up half way!

After I got done laughing, I then tapped him on the shoulder and told him it was a valiant effort, but that I better not see him do it again. You can snap a plastic two wheeler in half in no time with that kind of weight. I'd rather have them push 2 loads than be shelling out another $150 for a wheel barrel that was broke because of misuse.

If I need another wheel barrel, I'm going to go with one of those all metal jobbers....the got metal handles instead of wood, a 'rocker' arm on the front, and the little cleats on the back so they don't tip backwards. Real nice.

Only problem is, now that I have the dingo, I really never use one anymore:)

steveair

5. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

cclllc said "i bought a 2 wheeler at tsc and i love it.holds 10 cuyd "

Wow 10 cubic YARDS!! I got to see your legs and arms!!!

6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

u bet me morturf, i was getting ready to say the same thing. this leads me to my next question steve, what do you guys think about the power wheel barrels?

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

wow. a wheel barrow can hold more that a dump truck? that must be heavy:) . i bought mine from home depot. dont know the brand, but it holds a lot and has lasted a while.

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Cubic Feet, right? If not your a bad mother trucker! :cool:

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

The jacksons are really nice, with the ball bearing wheels, and such, But I cant' justify the money..I use the True Tempers that are 8cuft and have a plastic tub for most work.. I like to throw rocks and blocks and pavers, so the plastic absorbs more and dosnt dent and rust like the steel.. I use a 2 wheeler for mulch.. too hard to steer with anything heavier.. i think I paid like $50 for the 8cuft one at the depot and have had it for 2 or 3 years ?

10. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I have a couple True Tempers, but they sit at the back of the garage gathering dust (6 cu ftrs). They just aren't tough enough. We usually put 5 Versa-Lok block per wheelbarrow load (400#). The TT's handles flex with this much weight. Only a matter of time before a handle snaps. The Jackson handles are meatier, as is all of the bracing - thicker gauge steel, heavier duty all-around.

3 of my 5 Jacksons are 4 years old. Other than blowing a tire or two, they are still going strong. The other 2 are 3 years old, and they're doin' great, too.

I also have a 5cuft True Temper that I painted neon pink. If anyone dumps more than a barrow or 2 of stone, I threaten to make them use that one for a week.