Wheelbarrow-Steel/Plastic

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by VO Landscape Design, Jan 5, 2007.

1. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the market for some new wheelbarrows. What have you found a good size for transporting rock or other heavy material? Also lighter items like mulch-Plastic ones? I have been using shallow steel for moving dirt but need something a bit more substantial. With just starting this year I have several jobs coming up that will need river rock and mulch transported about 100 yds. or so. I have seen some Construction Grade 6 & 8 cubic ft. on both plastic and steel.
    Thanks
    VO

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I prefer plastic...doesn't rust and we leave our wheelbarrels outside to weather a lot. We have a 10cuft, two 8cuft, and a single wheeled (5-6cuft??) wheelbarrel. I actually prefer one with two wheels for transportation and loading. Can't tell ya how many times I tipped a single wheeled over with heavy materials (i.e. stone).

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

if you are transporting that long of a distance you might want to consider renting a power buggy plus they had almost a whole cubic yard and the dump is hydraulic.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a plastic 2 wheel 10 cuft, a plastic single wheel 6 cuft and a metal run flat single wheel 6 cu ft.

I use all three. Love the dual wheel for moving heavy loads and long distance but it doesn't fit through some gates and you can't drive it into the middle of a perennial bed.

The single plastic is great for mulching the middle of landscape beds and the single metal is great for sites with nails and moving rocks and mixing cement. -but its heavy.

5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 8cu.ft. Brentwood Ind. landscaper dual wheeled plastic wheel barrow. Its very built with grease fittings on ball bearing turf tires. I prefer plastic because it doesn't rust and weighs less than steel.

6. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    VO

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Go w/ the plastic. Also, the 2-wheel setups make a world of a difference when going very far. I wish I'd bought one years ago.