1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wheelbarrows as measuring cups...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TMGL&L, Jul 20, 2008.

1. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Wheelbarrows have measurements on them that say how many cubic feet they carry. Can these measurments of volume be used to measure the amount of mulch spread on a property?

I could be wrong here but if a cubic yard (1 scoop) is 3'x3'x3' then that is 27 cubic feet.

I know there are so many variables with this method, but has anyone done this before?
  2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I suppose a person could use a wheelbarrow to measure the spreading of mulch. I have a WB which holds 6 cubit feet of material.4 level and 1/2 loads would be a cubic yard.

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Well sorta. I use a 10 cu/ft and an 8 cu/ft wheelbarrow together for mulching. I drop mulch from the truck into them, usually heaping it up higher than the sides of the wheelbarrow. Based on a 27 cu/ft yard, one yard should be two 10s and an 8 (almost).

However, if I buy 1 yard, it always seems to fill both wheelbarrows twice, and then another single wheelbarrow...so two 10s, and three 8s. So that would be about 44 cu/ft based on the wheelbarrow ratings.

So, maybe the mulch suppliers are giving me extra, but it is consistant from 3 different mulch suppliers. Something does not add up.
  4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Its typical for the supplier to give you a little extra. Their measurements are not exact, and they would rather you get a little too much, than have you get to little, and not come back because you think they ripped you off. Mulch is very cheap for them, so its not costing them much more to give you some extra.