1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wheeled edger, what kind do you use? Yes Im Talking To You, haha!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by briancom, Jan 29, 2007.

1. briancom

briancom LawnSite Member
    from 70458

Ive cut alot of grass and I own a McLane 3.5hp I/C , and also Redmax stick edger, both work great. The McLane edger is on its last leg and I need to replace it, cause we do alot of apart. complexes with tons of edging and carring the stick edger for 2 hours at a time just kills your back and shoulders. What I need to know is, has anyone use Tanaka or Little wonder or some other brand of edger and how did it compare to other edgers you have used. Lets keep this thread strictly about wheeled edgers. thanks Brian.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im not gonna be much help here.............Ive got a craftsman that Ive used for 12 years and it has done well for me. I dont use it much, mainly for the 1st edge of the year or the 1st edge for a new customer.

Just a thought.........How about another McClane so you could rob parts if needed?

3. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I havent used a wheeled edger in about 20 years but the tanaka was my favorite.
  4. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I have a bolens i bought from lowes, and has served its purpose quite well. However i have a little wonder and it does better job than the bolens.
  5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

The ONLY way to go with a wheeled edger is the Tanaka 600!! I use either that or my Edgit when I edge. I'll grab the Tanaka for anything new, or if I have more than say, 5 minutes of edging to do at a time.
  6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I honestly dont think you can beat a Tanaka.

I have repaired a few different brands of belt driven 4cycle edgers and honestly from just trying them out after repairing them they all seem pretty bad to me. I prefer stick edgers to them.
  7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I have (well, technically Dad has it, but it kinda migrated into my storage unit:rolleyes: ) a early 90s (I think...) MTD. It has a 3.5 hp B&S. Very good edger, starts on the first pull every time. Don't really use it much though since I got my stick edger.
  8. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a Little Wonder Deluxe edger. It has the rotating blade for cuting at a right or left angle and adjustable hight. Great tool and if the drive belt breaks it can easily be replaces unlike the Tanaka edger that has a drive shaft which if it breaks the whole tool is basically junk.
  9. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Back when I started I found a old mcclane edger in a pawn shop for 65 bucks and I still use it today.If it dies before I do I will probably buy another.Very happy with it,Ive got a ton of work out of it.
  10. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Just last Spring I bought a McLane Edger with a 4.0Honda.....