Wheeled or Tracked Boxer mini

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PerfiCut L&L, Apr 10, 2009.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Were looking at getting picking up a Boxer 427 to help with the digging labor of puting in small patios and walkways. I'm undecided if we should get one with tracks or wheeled. The sales rep says you tend to get less traction with the wheeled machines thus reducing its digging force. However, you gain a little extra ground speed, and are able to make sharper turns while doing less damage, as well as getting a little better traction in the snow (if we decide to use it for that)

Just wondering what your opions are on these mini's with regards to wheeled or track driven.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

get the tracked... no question.

3. cmlandscapeconstruction

cmlandscapeconstruction LawnSite Member

I would take the tracked machine. just know that the daily operating cost is higher also if you plan on spending any substantial amount of time operating this machine on any hard surface other than soil you will burn through tracks. if you must operate on cement/asphalt do everything in your power to run the machine without turning. if digging is the main function go tracked.

4. PerfiCut L&L

good points so far. 98% of the work will be done in the yard, with an occasional trip across the asphault or what not.

Is anyone using a wheeled machine? and what cons have you experienced with them?

5. l3en007

l3en007 LawnSite Member

do these little boxers go for? is there a site where i can check them out at ? thanks...

6. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper LawnSite Member

7. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

We just purchased a Bobcat MT52 (tracked). I personally did not even consider any of the wheeled model mini-skids...

8. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper LawnSite Member

Personally, if I'm gonna spend $20,000 on a machine I'm gonna opt for a full size used loader and have the extra power just in case I might need it. I rented one of those mini loaders once and was extremely disappointed. It had no power, it couldn't reach high enough to load into my trailer or truck, and it was a killer on my back while I tried to operate & hold myself on the damn thing at the same time.
    The mini skid is just not for me. JMO :nono:

9. jg244888

jg244888 LawnSite Senior Member

do a search its been over talked about!!!!

10. PerfiCut L&L

Boxer is running a special due to over production last year. $5k off retail price through the end of the month.

We priced a 427 with bucket and a set of forks. $15k including tax. The wheeled version is $1k less.