1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wheeled String Trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by treemonkey, Aug 1, 2007.

1. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

don't buy one of those put a blade on your trimmer
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have used a Craftsman. I think they have their place. It would be a lot faster than a trimmer with a blade on it, IMO.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have one of the crapsman models myself. Mine is pretty nice, has the full shield over the motor (something that a lot of them don't have anymore). Yeah, I only use it a few times a year, but it's really handy for tall grass and weeds in those places where I'm not about to put a mower with a blade. Sure, you can get a BIG trimmer and basically do the same thing... but I'd need the big trimmer as often and this was a lot cheaper than that!

My parent's had a DR trimmer several years back. They have horses and LOTS of fenceline to keep trimmed. My mom ran the piss out of it for years, it pretty much fell apart though. They had replaced about everything on it but the engine and frame, and then all that was shot again so they junked it. Overall, for the price, I never thought it held up that well.
  5. komrom

komrom LawnSite Member

Gravely/Ariens makes a nice heavy duty one. My uncles sells them. I have used them on multilple occasions. They are brutes and good for rough cutting and trimming heavy stuff.
  6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Good suggestion. I woulden't be caught dead with one of the walk behind ones.