wheelhorse 724z trouble starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by I MOW ALONE, Jul 23, 2003.

1. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys. i was wondering if some of you might be able to help me. i got an old wheelhorse 724z. 24 horse onan and the problem im having is some times it will fire right up. and other times i have to crank it over about 15 to20 times. and there have been a couple of times it just would not start. im pretty sure it is a spark issue. because i can smell the fuel when it dont want to start. and i have heard that usually when a coil is bad it will start good when cold but start cutting out when it gets hot. not the case here because once it is running it will run for hours without a problem. and it is very hard to start if it sits for a couple of days.

thanks

2. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I know this isn't of any help but my advice is to drive that mower over a cliff. After you jump off of course. I used to have one and it was the sorriest piece of crap I've ever had next to a Great Dane Surfer.

3. hc841

hc841 LawnSite Member
    from oh

My experience with Onan ignition coils has not been good. They seem to have very weak spark at best on a good day. Replace it with a reliable engine Kohler, Kawasaki etc.

4. I MOW ALONE

thanks for the replys guys. but i think that the onan has proved itself to be a pretty reliable engine. it only has 2800 hours on it. not bad for a piece of junk.

thanks again

5. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Might check with your dealer - those engines had a bad habit of losing valve seats

6. I MOW ALONE

thanks redbull.

7. pooch

pooch LawnSite Member

I have the same mower from new. Always started after winter with a little starter fluid. This is the first year it wouldn't start. No spark. We are getting ready to replace the coil $100. Did you solve your problem yet? Can't seem to find parts.

8. I MOW ALONE

hi no i have not figured the problem out yet. i put a new coil on it and still giving me problems starting. and now when it is running sometimes it sounds like it is misfiring. did you figure out your problem yet.

9. pooch

pooch LawnSite Member

No still working on it. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the reply.

10. I MOW ALONE

pooch did you ever figure out the problem. i did with mine. turned out to be as simple as a battery. it had enough power to crank the engine over but was not delivering a full 12 volts to the coil. and without the full 12 volts it just would not fire. just thought i would let you know.