when 2 start advertising`

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by smarino21, Jan 11, 2007.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

we start cutting roughly april 15th here, when is a good time to start advertising if i plan on hitting the same house say 5 times is it good to start like march 1st? Any input would be great

2. smarino21

maybe march 1st?

3. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

Whats your advertising budget? How many customers do you want? How are you planning on advertising? If you want lots of customers, start now!, if you want a few start when the weather starts to break.

But seriously, the 1st 3 questions are important. Once you figure that out give us a better understanding, and can point you in the right direction.

4. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Start now, I have picked up many accounts (especially commercial) in Janaury and February. They want to get their contracts and budget nailed down as early in the year as possible. Plus, it is nice to be out doing estimates over the slow season as it might open doors for future work. Good luck

5. smarino21

how do you get commercial **** though ( actually tie up the work) last year i bid on $500,000 worth of work and i didnt get anything. Are my prices way too high or what the heck is it ?

To answer the first couple ? there i plan on spending about 5k and getting as many customers aas possible.

6. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well, my advise would be to first realize how much work your existing crew(s) can handle. If you are a solo guy your planning will be alot different than if you have crews working in the field that you can delegate work to. The last thing you want is to advertise like crazy and not be able to handle the work load. Also very important is to find a core area that you want to advertise in. Again, depending on your manpower, this will ensure that you are not chasing work all over the map. Time and efficiency are keys to profits. Another good idea is to layout a advertising plan. This way you know will know where your money is going, where you are advertising, when these ads will run and how the ads are written to pertain to your marketing goals. Always ask a potential client how they heard about you as this will give you an idea as to which ads are generating the most hits. Advertise services that are in season to draw people in. I will run a few basic ads during the year, but use alot of direct ads. Come mid February I will be pushing for spring clean ups and treatments as this is going to be the first areas people will be looking to address. Spend your advertising money wisely and always track your ads for results. If they keep seeing your name, the work will follow. Good luck