When a bed is FULL of weeds...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by allstar, Jul 31, 2004.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

When I clean up a bed like this I just cut 'em down with a trimmer,spray with PROSECUTOR and put new mulch on top.Each time I return to maintain the property I walk around the beds and spray anything poking through the mulch,which works pretty well.Is this how most of you handle weed-infested beds or do you actually try to pull them up?Thanks.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually spray a week or two beforehand with Round-up. Then either cover everything up with mulch or pull the really big dead ones, then cover with new mulch.

Dan

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Wouldn't hurt to treat with a pre-em right on top of that new mulch.

I use Preen, works well and will save you lots of time if its a regular maintenance property.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Ooops, yep, I forgot about pre-emergent...

I prefer to spray before the weeds are knocked down, that way there is more surface area to absorb the Round-up.

Some places require more than one spraying....

Dan

5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I've never used Round-Up but I 've got a job with VERY weedy beds.

How careful must you be with the Round-Up; does a little spray blown on the shrubs cause damage, or is the 'wind blown' spray more or less harmless?

Thanks,
    Steve

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Wind blown spray is definatley not harmless. Probably wouldnt kill the entire plant, but will harm the foliage and possibly entire branches. Depends on how much overspray is applied though.

7. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Roundup will kill anything green. In other words if you were to spray the trunk of a shrub it wouldnt do anything. Just keep it off the green.
    How long after soaking a bed and killing everything can you start replanting? Anybody know?
    Its not traditional weeds here in Texas thats a B%tch its the freaking Bermuda! Gets into everything!

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

You can plant same day you spray round up. Let it dry or you will have brown footprints on the lawn.

1-Pull large weeds
    2-Spray small weeds
    3-Plant
    4-Mulch
    5-Pre em

9. premier lawn care

premier lawn care LawnSite Member
    from Tx

RoundUp is systemic, meaning it is absorbed through the folige. It does not kill woody plants, it will however burn the leaves if blown/sprayed on them. It does not have any soil activity. Only what you spray will be affected. Also, look for RoundUp in generic form, it's cheaper!

10. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member