when a CDL will burn you...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirt Digger2, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well i got pulled over today...70 in a 55. The cop was a bit of a dick...asked for my license/registration said i was speeding and thats it..didn't ask for my story or anything, went back to his car wrote the ticket and handed it back to me

first violation...my drivers record has been crystal clean up to today...i was in upstate new york so maybe he figured i am out of state and would never come back to fight it in court..i dont know

now...normally PA won't count points against you that are received in other states...such as going 15 over in NY is 4 points, but they wouldn't go onto my license because I am from PA...BUT since i have a CDL they will. Even though i was driving a Jeep since i have a CDL i will now have 4 points on my license when the thing goes through court...

the worst part about it is i have an interview tuesday with a local township to drive plow truck for them this winter...so now i have to fess up to the fact that yes, when i applied my record was clean...but come next week it probably wont be

christ i am pissed...sorry for the rant...but that cop really steamed me off

2. NateV

NateV LawnSite Senior Member

sucks to hear that man. im trying to get on as a temp with penndot here this winter so i need to start watching my speed now too.

3. Dirt Digger2

from PA

NateV if you get pulled over in PA then you would get points regardless whether you have a CDL or not because your license is in PA...however i think if you get pulled over in PA, especially with a CDL, you might be more able to get out of the ticket in court, or even walk away with a warning

what just really ticked me off was the fact he grabbed my papers and went right back to his car...no small talk or anything...

on top of that he got me going the other way, i was heading south bound and he was driving north bound with his radar on..i passed him and he whipped around and pulled me over...Troopers can't do that in PA, so that caught me off guard too

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I would get a lawyer and fight it in NY. If it is going to affect employment, then it would be worth it.
    Another reason I try to stay under CDL.

5. ccstrebe

ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about that, what a way to end your weekend.

6. Dirt Digger2

from PA

theres nothing really to fight...i am a true believer if you "F up" then you should pay..and i was caught speeding and i should pay...i am not worried about the fine..so be it...i guess what i am really aggravated at was the fact he didn't give me a warning and i never really had to opportunity to ask for a warning. The only "employment" it will affect will be this part time job, when i graduate i wont need my CDL until i go out on my own, and by then the points will be gone.......

its just one of those things...i have a CDL, i went though a lot of trouble to get it, and i have proven then i am probably one of the "better" drivers out on the road...so for that i get punished more? its pretty screwed up i think

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

"Life is worth it, slow down."...................those types of bumper stickers make me flip off the driver as I roar past them.

8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: :laugh:

I got yelled at in class for laughing at that comment!!

9. carlriv

carlriv LawnSite Member
    from Mass

If you think the ticket will impact your getting the job in any way I would send it in to dispute, have your interview, and then before your court date change your mind and pay the fine.... That way you can legitamatly say that your record is clean.... Innocent until proven guilty if you will. Perhaps not completley honest but certainly reasonable.

10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you ask for court supervision in your state or the state written in? The only time I used it was prior to licenses going to CDL so I don't know if it would apply now. I would think so since you were in your personal vehicle. They put you on a probationary period. You pay the fine and court costs but the offense is not kept on your record if you don't receive any more violations in the probation period.