when a client calls, after hours

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 1, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i imagine most of you have your business office set up in your home. we "close up shop" around 2 pm on saturdays,and open up again monday morning. at least that's my goal. with the exception of up to 3 days after chemical applications, i don't answer the phone, or listen to the messeges. i resume business on monday morning at 8, at which time i'll listen to messeges and return calls. do you guys listen to messeges and return calls on saturday night, or on sundays? i want my time off, and time off means no business whatsoever, be it physically or on the phone. anyone else?

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

As a part timer, I'm doing the majority or my work on the weekends, and estimating, customer calls in the evening. So, I'm constantly "bothering" customers during supper and on the weekend. It's a necessary evil for me right now

That being said, I don't think there is anything at all wrong with being unreachable during the days/hours you mentioned. When this becomes f/t for me, I suspect I will probably do the same.

3. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

My hours are Mon thru Sat, 8am to 6pm. Any calls after that, to include Sunday, won't be answered until the next business day. I use to answer calls or return calls and that was going over board. Never had time with the family. Gotta balance family and work.

4. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Few years ago I had this one lady (potential customer) call me TWO mornings in a row at 5am. Left messages both times on my machine. After the second time, I said enough is enough. I returned her call at midnight. And please don't rant and rave about how unprofessional this is. I have no desire to work for some bluehaired lady that hounds me at 5 am.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is Saturday night, and I'll be knocking on doors collecting money tomorrow. You can rest assured of it. They want to play the game, I'll play.

6. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

My phone got turned off I guess I'm not making enough mowing.
    What should I do ?:p

It just hit me I'll start putting flyers in mailboxes hows this

Mike's Lawn and Landscape
    Any lawn $20.00

call for qwality mow

Oops I forgot I aint got no phone

7. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I had this happen about 2 weeks ago. Lady calls a 6:30 pm Sat. Says I need you too give me a quote I tell her will be there Monday 8:00 am. I here her husband yell if i can't come now and cut call someone else. I tell her "get your old man to get off is lazy a@@ and cut his own yard" and hang up.

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Until I don't need the work, I answer and return calls ASAP.

9. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I'd go cut it for $20.00

10. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

its only a phone call you don't even have to leave your couch.
    peolpe like promptness and they want attention to there problem.
    im not saying wake up at 5 am to answer a call but if it isa reasonable time in the day and you are not already preoccupied answer the phone or make a call. it shows you truly care.
    but if the person is pita and calling to complain about spmething stupid then make them wait until youare ready.