when a customer jerks u around, do u jerk them back?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 8, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i love it when someone calls for an estimate, and they try to jerk me around, it's a waste of my time but i have a little fun while i'm at it. she calls, she needs a little of this, a little of that, trimming, small wall, etc. so i go over, she wants the cr@ppy old field stone wall removed, and disposed of, and clayton block put in.wants some shrubbery removed, some trimming. SO GET THIS.... she said that i should give her credit for the fieldstone, since i will be taking it and probably re using it. and, any topsoil needed should be taked from her garden, so there shouldn't be a charge for soil. i just sat there in shock, no, no lord, not again, why me? so i told her this: i'm not sure how much the blocks are, i'll call you back with a price, then i'll take some $$$ off for a credit on the field stone. she was so happy. i called her that night, told her the block was $4.00 each, and i'll give her back $1 for each piece of fieldstone, i'll be there day after tommorow, she was happy. well, course i never showed up, she called, i said sorry, be there tommorow. no show again, she called, i told her i was there, but she wasn't home, i needed to discuss something with her. she says can u come now, sure i said. never went. she calls, i said WTF? i was just there, you werent home. she said i was too home! i said i'll be right over, did this again. she calls, did u have the right address? i read it back to her, she said it was right. i said well i been there 3 times, u r never home. she says i was home. finally i told her to leave me alone, i keep comming, and she's never home.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I live in jersey too bobby, but you seem to have more than your share of whackos. What do you do...grow them over there by you? LOL

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

It's got to be something in the water...LMAO!!:D

4. lilred731

lilred731 LawnSite Member

Bobby something like this could only happen to you. After you tire of this profession you should become a stand-up comedian. The stories you tell are just LOL funny.

5. lilred731

lilred731 LawnSite Member

This is funny stuff.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is too funny of a story.

The only thing I did major to a customer was to one guy(his name was Bill) that kept on calling me Todd, when my name is Troy. So over and over again he would call me Todd and I would correct him and tell him no its Troy. Finally, I just started to call him Bob. He would correct me and say no its Bill, and I would say, "oh sorry bob, my mistake." It really made him mad.

7. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I'm confused, why would you repeatedly tell a customer you were coming over and not show up? Doesn't sound very professional to me. If you didn't want the job why didn't you just tell her so?

BTW, ever hear of paragraphs and punctuation? It would make your posts a lot easier to read.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Joel, I know bobby very well and he never claimed to speak the "Queen's English".

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ah joel, that's funny. it's like this, when you're in rome, you do as the romans do, get my drift???? it was like this joel, she talked to me like i was an idiot. she told me I SHOULD PAY HER, for removing her cr@ppy old stone. then when i quoted her $65 a yard for topsoil, which included pickup, delivery, and install, she decided that i should use her garden soil, and since pick up and delivery was no longer an issue, $10 was enough compensation for moving the soil. turning down the job at this point was not reasonable compensation for the emotional cruelty she inflicted on me, i needed more. so, i jerked her around like she did to me. i thought it was funny, my wife told me to grow up, i still thought it was funny. proffesional you say? YOU MUST BE JOKING, the longer i work in this business, the more i realize that we will never be viewed as proffesionals, just pee ons.

10. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Whatever works for you bobby.....................