When aerating Bermuda

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by New2TheGreenIndustry, Feb 28, 2008.

1. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Do you recommend over-seeding as well?

2. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Considering you're in Alpharetta, GA I would overseed only if the soil is damp and above 70 degrees(May). Your customers will have to properly irrigate and have starter fertilizer applied (18-24-12).

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You should not need to overseed with more Bermuda. It just needs some heat water and N and you wont be able to stop it. All you should need to do is fertilize, boost the frequency of the watering for 10-14 days. You do need night time temps in the low to mid 60s t get it going though.

It will spread and fill faster than new seed will germinate. It has a 21 day germination rate, thats a long time to wait just to get going.

4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I would not bother to overseed bermuda unless it is real thing. Just aerate so that you get more than 12 holes per sq. ft. By cutting the stolons and opening the soil some water, fetilizer and warm days will do the filling in.

5. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

My only issue is that sometimes the seed used is quite different than the sod used.

6. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Many of the hybrid varieties like tif419 are sterile hybrids. Forget overseeding. AZ Gardener hit the nail on the head.

7. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I was saying, but was a little confusing in my reply. I've done it before when requested, but don't recommend it.