When Al Gore Disrupts Your Estimate.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Jan 30, 2008.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

This is a classic. I gotta preface this by saying the issue of the environment isn't one of my biggest priorities in life. I am not very persuaded by the likes of Al Gore, et. al. But at the same time, I am not one to totally deny global warming either. I have seen a lot of evidence supporting both sides of the argument.

One thing I am not is a kool-aid drinker where I just blindly believe everything that the environmentalists tell me. I don't drive a Prius, I don't buy carbon off-sets, and I don't ride my bike around town. And if you or others do, cool. I got no problem with that.

Where I do start to get irritated is when one of these Gore lovers start to preach to me. But it's most offensive when they are worse offenders than I am. So that's what happened to me today, while giving an estimate.

I was out giving a landscaping bid at this McMansion nearby. It looks fairly similar to the one pictured below. Huge tennis court, pool, courtyards, acres of manicured turfgrass, 4 car garage, you name it. The guy takes me around his 10 acre property to show me one of his lawns (8500 sq. ft.) that he wants removed and then replaced with new sod - a job that would be the better part of a week for us to do. I explain to him it will take me 20 minutes in my truck to price out and type up his proposal and then I'll knock on his door when I am ready.

Now understand that it's like 38 degrees only outside today and my 6 year old son is in the truck with me. So I get back in the truck, fire it up, and turn on the heater so we can stay warm while I am working on the estimate. Then, as I am typing, 2 minutes later there is a knock on my window. It's the wife, who I hadn't met until now. I rolled down the window and said, "Oh, hi! Sorry. Am I in your way? I can back up..." She says to me, "No. You're fine. It's just that I have a thing about revving engines. It's so bad for the environment, you know. You guys are welcome to come inside and do that." I was kind of caught off guard. Never heard that one before. But I explained that I couldn't do that because my laptop and printer were all set up and plugged in inside my truck, and it was just easier to do it here. She said, "Oh, ok. Well, do you mind just turning off the engine then? I hate to be wasteful. Thanks!"

I was kind of dumbfounded. I reluctantly agreed because her husband was cool as heck and we probably have a great chance of landing this fairly big job. But what I wanted to say was, "Give me a break, lady! Do you realize how many old growth trees they cut down to build your McMansion here? Do you realize that where your 100 x 50 tennis court is used to be lots of lush plants and trees all helping our planet breath? Do you realize how much "carbon" based energy your outdoor heated pool uses each day? Do you even realize that I would create more exhaust out of our Bobcat MT55 in one hour while we're doing your landscaping than I could create in a day with this new pickup? Give me a freakin' break, lady!"

I just couldn't believe it. Here she is living this super luxurious lifestyle and her family probably creates a bigger "carbon footprint" in one month than my family does in a 2 years. But my truck running for 20 minutes to keep me and my son warm is ruining the planet. She's got some nerve. I just couldn't believe it.

2. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Well, if you are like most of the guys around here who have duel thrusters on their trucks because they can't afford a muscle car.........yeah, I would have asked you to turn the engine off! The noise is what pisses me off! ;)

Seriously, some people are crazy. Should have asked her for a solar heating pad for you son! That would have shut her up.

Let us know if you get the job.
  3. fritowrdo

fritowrdo LawnSite Fanatic

You have hit on what irritates me the most about the whole thing.

Everyone must comply but them.

You can not drive an SUV or truck but they can.

You need to watch how big your house is but them.

You better not spend 5000 per year but they can spend 30000 on gas and electric.

You better not fly but they can jot around the globe talking about global warming.
  4. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Just another out of touch A-Hole
  5. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, most of them are hypocrites.
  6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Just wait until you start up your blowers.....
  7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

so, did ya get the job? :waving:
  8. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

tell her you coast down hills so its all good....

I would have said something, but then again i have lost jobs for less then that.
  9. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

these people crack me up i totally agree with you..Did you see Al Gores movie about the environment??

hes driving around in the biggest frigging limo the probably make .. then jumping in a monster private plane everywhere.. Im thinking what the **** is this moron talking about, haha
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know. It was a pretty big job. In my experience, most people don't make a decision on big jobs right on the spot. Now sometimes in the middle of spring they will - just because they know I am swamped busy and want to get on my schedule ASAP. But this guy - like most people - wanted to talk it over with the wife and get back to me. That's normal.

I would bet that we'll get that job though, yes. He wasn't getting any other bids and was referred to us from someone else. And he can definitely afford it.