When and how to get commercial accounts for next season?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Sep 27, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

When is the best time to approach a business about a contract to do next season's work for them? I have never done a commercial before, so also how do you approach them? Thanks,
  2. A good way to get commercial accounts is to under bid the guy that is currently doing the work.
  3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

did i miss something? was there a thread where chopique was flamed, the members got it all out of the system, and now everyone just ignores him???

cause it seems with posts like this (there are many) he would be getting nailed everywhere.

can we ban this moron?:confused:
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

bubble boy, I must have missed that one. I have no clue what you're talking about.

Underbidding: only as long as I can still make good money at it.
    Any other ideas as to how to approach them and when is the best time of year to do this?
  5. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I'm doing it now. Been talking to P.Mgmt. Co's all week, some of their contracts will be up for bid within the next couple of weeks,hopefully it will pay off. Monday I will be attending a pre-bid meeting for our county PUD. All their contracts are from Nov-Nov.
  6. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Heres a few tips for your biz
    1. Get more than 1 residential client
    2. Get a truck and a commercial mower and blower
    3. Get insurance pay taxes
    4. Dont be trugreen and underbid since you have no Mexicans working for $3 an hr for you. You have no work therefore cant pay anyone else to work with you. Large commercial you cant do.

No commercial owners will hire a 14yr old with no truck, (an old aerostar does not qualify) and a 14yr old rear engine riding mower. Its just not going to happen. Even if you worked for free most people wouldnt hire you since when a pebble flies from your mower into a car whats going to happen.

Be realistic now!
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Like I posted earlier bushhogboy - You need to get to your banker:

1. Lay out a plan as to how your are going to make a business:
    2. Get some equipment:
    3. Show your banker how you can pay him back: - They all require that you pay them back:
    4. Then go for it - Do not just sit on this forum and think someone will dump it in your lap with a grand piece of advice that will be magic, and suddenly you are vacationing in Tahiti because of all the money you made mowing -

There are a lot of good machines out there that will allow you tomake a good living -Figure out which ones you need, Visit your banker and go - Other wise just sit there with you scabbed together machine - mowing your neighborhood and forget it.
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

It's called "getting your ducks in a row"
    Someday I'm sure he will make the plunge and with all the posts and learning he has done here he should do well.
    As for the commercials , around here a lot has to do with who you know not what you can do. Some of our commercials here are 3 year contracts so you have to just give them a bid or let them know you are interested in submitting a bid when it comes up.
  9. kjfaulk

kjfaulk LawnSite Member
    from NC

The contracts that i have renew themselves. Never had one that re bidded every year. But, please do us all a favor, IF THE LCO IS DOING A GREAT JOB, dont bother trying to take somebodys work out from under them. There is plenty of work out there for everyone, you just have to work at it.
  10. What are you going to mow with?

How do you plan on entering a binding contract?

How do you plan on getting there?

How do you plan on aquiring insurance?

How do you plan on registering your???????????

Most commercial places are going to laugh at you, don't waste your time.

I hope mommy isn't going to be the choffure.

Sorry but reality must set in.

Mom n Pop stores might give you a chance but they take a chance also.

Wait a few years, you have plenty of time in your future.