When and when not to trim

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by John Deere, Feb 6, 2001.

1. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

To those of you who do l.s. maintenance. I have for years had customers want pruning of shrubs at all times of the year. When is the right time of year to prune shrubs? Generally we prune in April and again when the second freeze sets in in the fall. Actually what I would really like is someone that does a program for this to tell me how you do it. Danka!

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

For evergreens they can be pruned every six weeks to keep the growth down and to retain the height and shape of the existing shrub.

For flowering shrubs we wait until the blooming cycle has completed itself and the blooms have pretty much wilted. This ensures that the proper nutrients have been absorbed and buds will be set for the next season.

For deciduous shrubs we prune them early in the spring and then again around mid September so that they will retain the height and shape of the shrubbery. This also ensures that the plants have time to heal before the early fall frosts set in.

If we have to prune something during the hot summer months we do so either early in the morning or late in the evening and then water them afterwards for a day or two to make sure that they wont dye out from shock.

Here in NYS we generally prune in April and then again in mid September for twice a year pruning, or one or the other depending on our schedules for yearly, otherwise its every six weeks up to 4 prunings for full season pruning(this excludes flowering shrubs of course).

Hope this helps some.
    Kris

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

American Hort Society puts out a great book - Pruning and Training DK is publisher