1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

When Animals Attack Controllers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by deekay1622, Apr 25, 2014.

1. deekay1622

deekay1622 LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

First off, I've been reading all the posts and pulling out a lot of good and useful information. I appreciate everyone sharing their valuable knowledge. Also, I hear you guys like good pictures so here are a couple from my collection.

You open the controller door and see...

frog fry.jpg

wasp 1.jpg

wasp 2.jpg

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Seen many of those nests inside, never a frog. Good find.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

and that is why you seal up those holes.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

What sonny said: I've opened cold call clocks with wasps,hornets, yellow jackets, brown recluse spiders,ants etc. In all cases, it was the lack of sealing, as they all seemed to like the heat and ease of entry. I'd usually call the exterminator to get rid of them, and in most cases, replace the clock innards.
    Scary stuff, not to be taken lightly. :dizzy:

5. deekay1622

I've tried expanding foam, but it gets really messy (especially on small holes).

Rubber grommets are nice IMHO, but it gets cumbersome to try and keep all the various sizes and shapes I come across.

Anybody found a nifty way of sealing holes or generally bugproofing controller cabinets.

I see snails, insects, slugs, ants and other little critters as one of the main reasons circuit boards get fried.

[​IMG]

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, the field and power wires should come in with conduit and slip/ threaded mipt fittings into the clock housing. Any electrical supply house has reducing/expansion washers and locking nuts to seal the holes. A little caulk, and you're good to go!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Been saying that for a lifetime Boss. :laugh:
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. deekay1622

Good info. Thanks everybody.

A couple of controllers I run across have small holes, about 1/8", for running rain sensor wires into the cabinet or sometimes the manufacturer says they are for venting. I'll probably find something from the links and suggestions.

If not, good old electrical tape it is.