When are you a success?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by haynestotallawns, Jun 27, 2004.

1. haynestotallawns

haynestotallawns LawnSite Member
    from SC

My wife asked me the other night at what point do I think I will consider myself successful in this business. I think for me in my situation it is as follows
    1. This is my only full time job (it's full time now but it's not the only full time job I have)

2. When I have enough crews and equipment to run a full maintenance schedule, a full sprinkler and landscape install and repair schedule and a full lighting schedule.

3. When my main job is to run the business and not let it run me, just do estimates and check up on jobs.

What are some of you guys ideas on this?

Mark.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Everyone has a different definition of success. Is success about money or is success about happiness?

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

success is when you have balanced the "i have plenty of money AND plenty of time to use my money"

when you are actually able to relax on vacation!

when you can remember your childrens names and what your wife looks like naked!

when you can walk around town with your head up,,,,,instead of hiding like a criminal!

when you can actually give something back to the world!

and lastly,,,,,when your not worried about scrubs or being called a scrub!

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

success is when you have money, and you have options. success is when you are happy, and your business is stable enough to make it through hard times. success means your business will still run smoothly if you're laid up in the hospital, or out of work for 2 months. success is NOT having to work 7 am till dark. success is being able to go to your younger son's school play at 10 am, and your older son's baseball game at 5 pm, and it doesn't cause unhappy customers. saw my friend the other day, nice man. big, big guy, stronger than a bear. he owns 11 houses, shacks basically, that he rents out. he runs his lawn service, solo, 7 days a week, 7 am till dark, 7 days a week, doesn't even take the winter off. he paces the house when there's nothing to do, and actually calls his customers in jan, feb to ask if he can trim thier trees or clean thier yards. he has more money than anyone i know(except gee vee). he saves every nickle, won't even buy a decent car. if he's hungry he'd rather chew his fingernails than stop and buy food out somewhere, cus it cost too much. he shaves his head cus he wants to save money on shampoo and haircuts. in my opinion, he is a total and complete failure. why? because in spite of having a profitable business, he has never developed any hobbies or personal interests.

5. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I have to agree with Jodi and bobby.

Some people want 50 employees, trucks galore, enough equipment to start their own dealership, and a client list as long as the constitution - and that's fine.

Some people want a scenario that allows them enough time to spend with family and friends and live comfortably.

Others simply want as much money as they can make.

All of this is fine. But it is important to really think about what you want and set goals and do everything you can to move in that direction. In this business, it is common for people to change their minds and change their business. Sometimes adapting is good, but for the most part, following through with a consistent plan will eventually get you what you want.

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Success to me will be when I reach my financial goals, #1 of which is to be able to live indeffinatelly off of assets that I have either created or invested in. Meaning: I don't have to "work to survive". That would be financial success to ME.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

success to me will be the day my dad does not ask me when I'm gonna get a real job!:D

Mac

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Success to me is when you can retire to your beach home (paid for) in Florida, got all the money to do what you want, when you want to, got no worries & got a beutifull woman by your side (someone like Pamula Anderson, but not as slutty). :cool:

9. J Haugner

J Haugner LawnSite Member

" (someone like Pamula Anderson, but not as slutty). "

Anyone who looks like her is going to be slutty.

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

If its in the Black

Not in the red