When bagging grass.....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ToddS, Jun 13, 2004.

1. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

....what do you do with it? I have a few customers that want there grass bagged each cut, but I have nowhere to dispose of the grass. I have a SCAG WB with no bag, but do have a mulching blade. The only place that I know of to get rid of the grass is the county dump , but they charge $30 per ton. I just don't feel that it is worth paying this and driving over there each week. I was just wondering for those that bag grass what you do with it or where you dispose of the grass. Thanks

Todd

2. CHEVYCRAIG

CHEVYCRAIG LawnSite Member

charge $2..0 per bag and quote the extra time into the mowing price.

3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch it, or then buy the cheap paper lawn debris bags from Home Depot and leave them at the customers house or better yet put out in front of yours and let the disposal company take care of it.

4. bronyaur

bronyaur LawnSite Member

Try to avoid bagging the clippings.Tell them it's better for the lawn if you leave the clippings.The only time you need to collect(if at all) is during heavy growth and in the Fall to collect leaves.Mulch in the Summer.If you decide to offer to collect the clippings,Charge extra andtry to arrange to leave it at your customers house for disposal(maybe arrange your schedule to mow the day before the garbage man collects)When I first started I collected grass at about all my lawns and in the heat of summer after 3 or 4 days that grass really start to smell bad and if you work out of your house like I do it can be an issue with the neighbors.

5. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

Trash companies in our area do not take grass clippings. That is why I psted this question. I see bigger companies bag the grass, but I can't figure out what they are doing with it

ToddS

6. bronyaur

bronyaur LawnSite Member

The bigger companies are probably paying the $30.00 a ton at the county dump.

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Or just go ask the bigger company.

8. GrassGroomers

GrassGroomers LawnSite Member

How about this new idea- compost. use old grabage cans and grass clippings will turn into black gold in 3-4 weeks.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

They don't pick any grass up at all down there? I always leave it curbside in plastic or paper bags (depending on the locality). Don't have the room or time to go to the dump.

My in-laws live in the Acworth, GA area and are looking for someone to mow- PM me if you are interested for their info.

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I require customers to have a place on site to dump grass or I don't do it.