When Bidding a new job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ohbuckhunter, Jul 18, 2013.

1. ohbuckhunter

ohbuckhunter LawnSite Member

When going to bid a new job. Do y'all go there ready to mow there lawn or do you go in your other vehicle.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

It depends but even if I have my equipment with me I am only giving an estimate at that time.

3. ohbuckhunter

If I'm out doing jobs than I normally have everything with me. Thursdays n Fridays are my makeup and cleanup jobs. So I don't always have all my mowers with me. Just thinking if its better to have your stuff with you when bidding a job or doesn't really matter as long as the price is right.

4. ncpete

ncpete LawnSite Senior Member

when bidding, I am often in my car, though I am thinking of putting a hitch on it, and pulling the equipment trailer behind it. Wife likes the truck too much to let me use it all the time :( besides, if I am not doing the job, I get much better mileage with it.

5. ohbuckhunter

1 of the main reason why I started this thread. I had a potential customer call me last night at 8:30 pm. It's 15 miles from my house/most of my work. I would like to get my foot in the door in the area (nicer homes and bigger yards) is why I agreed to come give her a quote. I told her I would be there at 8am this morning to give her a estimate since she said she doesn't get up till 7:30. I pulled in the driveway at 7:45 to find another crew unloading there equipment. So I knock on the door to greet her and go over what she would like the estimate to cover. She than tells me that's her old crew and they settled things last night and there going to keep the contract. I'm glad I didn't even get a chance to bid this job after hearing that. But if she settled it why not call me back last night and say I already got it covered. The LC that was unloading there stuff seemed pretty ticked that I was there but later told me that she hasn't paid her bill in 2 months and they told her if she didn't pay up to date plus the rest of the season they was dropping her. I dodged a bullet there but how many of y'all go through that. Taking time out your day to make a trip that's a waste of time.

6. pkwidell

pkwidell LawnSite Member

That is how it is dealing with the general public. Just log it somewhere that you don't go back.

7. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I always go prepared to cut. The "other crew" was more then likely running their mouth trying to scare you off. Never back down. I'd said "well I'm glad you got it settled let me know if it doesn't work out. My bid is x amount." Which may be a little cheaper.

8. LandscapeSavannah

LandscapeSavannah LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

99% of the time when a customer is behind they look elsewhere. When I'm doing paper work and I see that someone is behind- I will call the guys and tell them to skip it until I talk to them. It is also like they blame you for getting behind. They tend to look elsewhere for someone probably cheaper, or they think they can dodge you that way. When you send a notice of suspension you can almost bet you are losing that customer. But that leaves room for someone else that will pay on time.

9. Big Dog Diablo

Big Dog Diablo LawnSite Senior Member

I fully agree with you on this but as someone that has been doing lawncare on the side since the mid 90's i can tell you when first starting out I ran into ALOT of people that I had trouble with getting paid. They may pay me after that particular mowing or they may pay me at the end of the month. Few of them never payed me at all but I was so DESPERATE to gain business I kept on mowing.