When can a newly renovated lawn be BL sprayed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Whitey4, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I did 5 lawn renovations this spring, including my own front lawn. Results are outstanding if I say so my self on 3 of the 5.... the ones that were watered as per my directions came in thick and full, and still no summer burn. (Rye, KBG and Fescue mix seed)

I used a Tupersan (siduron) based starter fert, but still had some breakthrough with the crabgrass... on my lawn I hand weed it twice a day. On the others, obvoiusly the homeowners are not as anal as I am, so they have some CB. The other two lawns that were not irrigated according to my suggested schedule came in OK, but much spottier and with more weeds.

My questions are these:

(And yes, I can read labels, but am looking for experienced opinions on this)

My Lawn was done (dethatched, roto'd, removed 1100 lbs of sand and trash fill, added 1200 lbs of top soil and compost, seeded etc) on 5/16, the last of the 5 jobs. It's been mowed 4 times. I'd like to put down Barricade with my next (3rd) fert app, is it too soon? ( I used a second siduron/starter fert app 4 weeks ago)

Lots of clover, purslane and some chickweed. Should I just live with it, or can I use a 3 way with Quicksilver now at a low rate? Hand pulling twice a day for 15 minutes is getting old.... but I don't want to destroy what so far has been a very successful renovation. I get lots if compliments on it already... great advertising, and even I have to say, it is about the best bare dirt reno I've ever seen. Sorry, but as I am new to this as a pro, I can't help but to brag a bit. I have pics but have no clue as to how to post them.

So, planted in mid-May, almost 5 mowings... when can I use a pre-M and more importantly, a post-M broadleaf control? I know the common knowledge suggestion is to wait on the post emergent, but... can it be done safely now? If not now, when? Thanks in asvance!
  2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Standard rule for chemical application goes: once it's mowed 2x's. You're in the clear to spray the weeds. As for the prodiamine, I can't remember off the top of my head, so you might check the label. I'll attach it, but my kids are waiting to play a mean game of hot potato, so I gotta run...

Barricade 4FL label reads: To avoid turfgrass injury, do not apply to newly set sod until the sod has rooted and exposed edges have filled in.

Filling edges takes a good year!

Another spot reads: OVERSEEDING: Injury to desirable seedlings is likely if Barricade 4FL is applied before the secondary roots of seedlings are in the second inch of soil, not thatch plus soil. To reduce the potential to injure overseeded turf, wait 60 days after seeding or until after the 2nd mowing, whichever comes later, before applying.

Attached Files:

3. Whitey4

Er correction.... maybe I can't read labels! :eek: LOL.... but based on that, I'm about to mow it for the fifth time.... and I am REALLY tired of hand pulling crabgrass! This was a heavilly infested area. Many, many years ago, public sewer lines replaced cesspools here. The contractor refilled the trench with all the sand and stone on top.... top soil on the bottom, apparently. This stretch had no more than 1-2"s of top soil, then solid sand (about 20X6').

As a result, it could not support healthy turf. I went 6"s down, took out about 35 cubic feet of sand and rock, brought in about 1200 lbs of top soil and compost... releveled... but I think nearing the fifth mowing, the Barricade should be fine. I'm at 55 days since seeding, and about to mow the fifth time in a day or two. So, I guess I can do my 3rd fert next week with the Barricade. I was more worried about using a 3 way with Quicksilver for the broadleaf weeds.

My usual (LOL, for a rook) BL is a pretty hot 3 way with Quicksilver, one that stressed established turf a bit, but gets the weeds. I'm guessing cutting my rate by half is on order on this new turf.

Thanks, and thanks for not holding a grudge! :)

Hot potato? Like with REAL potatoes? Do kids still do that, or is this like a video game? LOL.... my ex-wife's Grandmother grew up in Montana. They used to carry hot spuds just to keep their hands warm as they walked several miles to school, and ate them for lunch. The whole "hot potato thing came from that.... if they were too hot out of the oven.... they would have to move it from hand to hand so they would not get burnt. My ex-in-laws didn't know what a jewel this woman was.... she had soooo many stories... and no one listened..... except for me. But, I'm on a tangent... however it was a nice memory jog for this 53 year old, remembering a special person.... so thanks for that, too.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Another way to handle it would be to do nothing now, then in fall re-do the whole renovation, that is:
    Core aeration + Overseeding + fert + etc...
    This alone will help and then wait until next spring to tackle the weeds.

Because it's freshly renovated, weeds are to be expected, unfortunately a completely normal aspect.

There's just not much doing in this heat, you could treat it towards late July early August especially the crabgrass that appears to have started for the season and then there's the broad leaf stuff... But another two months and it's time for that core aeration thing anyhow, you see, if it turned out as good as you say it did then I might just wait and simply treat the entire lawn again and it will look really good by spring THEN tackle those weeds.

That's what I do, renovate in fall, treat for weeds in spring and summer.
    That way you take no chances. :p

Not with these 'every week' mowing fools :p
  5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd say you have very little to worry about, given that time frame and growth.

No worries. I honestly don't recall us fighting. I just get on here and run my mouth from time to time. That whole master-of-my-universe sort of thing, you know. It'd actually take quite a bit for someone to piss me off enough I'd be bothered. :D I figure that with how liberally I dish crap out, I sure as heck oughta be able to take it. :laugh:

It's just a plastic potato with an internal egg timer. Wind it up, throw it around until it starts buzzing. My kids are 8, 7, 5, and 2 , so it's the perfect family activity. We try hard to have some dedicated family time every Monday night. Tonight was a gospel story, hot potato, mom's fresh chocolate chip cookies, and burning up the rest of the sparklers from the 4th.

6. Whitey4

Trying to post a pic....

06-08 015.jpg
  7. Whitey4

Better pics of the turf, taken today after mowing with my lil machine....

07-8-08lawn 001.jpg

07-8-08lawn 004.jpg
  8. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

After 4 mowings would be my advice.
    You need to get the lawn cleaned up so you can overseed this fall a avoid spring seeding.IMO
  9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto, 3-4 mowings and you are out of the woods for a spray.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Spray with Drive 75. Great crabgrass control & decent on broadleafs, as well.
    Follow label & you'll have the Crabgrass running for the hills:)