When can I apply weed & Feed after Lesco Transition blend & starter?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by isomaad, Apr 7, 2008.

1. isomaad

isomaad LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I live in East Tennessee and overseeded with Lesco Transition blend and Lesco starter fertilizer on March 14th. The new seedlings started popping up around April, 4th and they are about 1.5" tall at this time. How long do I need to wait before I can put down another round of fertilizer such as a Weed & Feed? Would the 1st of May be to early? The weeds are getting pretty bad right now. Also, can you guys recommend a good weed killer that won't harm the grass that would be good to use in a hand held or backpack sprayer? I was looking at Weed-B-Gone, is it any good? Thanks guys for any assistance!

Johnny
    http://www.pbase.com/big24fan

2. Steve Swail

Steve Swail LawnSite Member

Johnny....The rule of thumb with TTTF is to get at least 3 mowings on the new grass before applying a weed killer. Personally, I think there are many better choices on the market for weed control than the WBG products. Hard to tell you exactly what you need without knowing the specific weeds, but find a Southern States Co-Op or Lesco in your area. They'll know a hell of a lot more about grass than the dude working at Home Depot. Personally, I wouldn't weed & feed TTTF this late, especially with the grass being so young. The heat's coming & you need to promote root growth, not top growth like the weed & feed does. The biggest thing is to make sure it gets water regularly - at least an inch a week, preferably all at one time so it gets down to the roots. Plus, cut it on the highest setting on your mower to choke out & prevent as many weeds as possible. Here's a great website for you....
    www.turffiles.ncsu.edu

3. isomaad

isomaad LawnSite Member

Hey Steve,
    Thanks a lot for the info and link. There is a lot of good info on that site and it should help me identify what type of weed we have that is spreading like crazy. I may post a picture of it later if I can't identify it on my own. Thanks again!

Johnny
    http://www.pbase.com/big24fan