1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

when compression is gone, should i buy new?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Sep 22, 2005.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have an echo srm 210 trimmer and the compression is gone. is there anyway to fix it or should i just buy a new one? thanks for the responses.

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

buy a new one. A cylinder jug and piston cost too much.

3. lawnwizards

thats all i needed to know... thanks for replying so fast.

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I second all ferris, for something as in-expensive as a trimmer, its not worth it.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If you have never rebuilt an engine, buy a new one and sit that one aside for a rainy day, its a fun project, worth the money in my opinion just for the learning experience.

6. lawnwizards

i have a 15hp kohler command thats gonna be my learning experience... tell me now before i start if i'm gonna be able to do it.....LOL

7. all ferris

The time involved in the rebuild and the cost of a the parts????? Lets put it this way... by the time you rebuilt that thing you could have already cut a couple yards to help offset the cost of new vs. rebuild. You have to value your time also.

8. all ferris

On something that costs as much as a new motor for a mower you would be better off to rebuild. The rebuild should be able to be accomplished in a day or less. Parts should be less than $100. The only real speciality tool you'll need to do this is a cylinder hone.

9. lawnwizards

i've never done anything like this before... i'll have all winter to do it and i think it will be a good learning experience for me... plus, i'll have a back up motor just incase.....

10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to get rid of that trimmer, send it to me. I'll fix it up. normally, when compression is gone, what you need, is normally just rings, and possibly a piston if need be. pretty cheap.