When customers ask about your nursery discount...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by theguynextdoor, May 18, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a few customers ask what my discount is, or if I get wholesale at the local nursery, which does retail and wholesale. I don't want to tell them my prices, and I havn't so I just beat around the bush. I do have a landscaper's wholesale account, but I certainly don't want to tell them that I get the stuff cheap and mark it up.

How do you respond to these questions? I was thinking of saying that I price the install according to the labor involved and warranties and such.
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the time they want to know your pricing for one of two reasons.
    1. They want to know how much you're making off them.
    2. They want to buy the plants from you (at your discount) and do the work themself.

I tell them it's almost the same as what the retail customer pays. If they ever tried to pinpoint me down, I'd say I didn't exactly know at that time. If they still pushed it, I'd then tell myself why am I even fooling with this person?
  3. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I tell customers that I buy from a number of vendors, some that are exclusively wholesale, some that are retail that also sell wholesale as well and some retail vendors. If they want to know about pricing - look at my estimate! I have no intentions of telling the customer what my prices are and I generally don't price individual plants to the customer. Most would be unhappy knowing that they pay more than "retail" because most don't realize I have to drive 45 miles to the nearest nursery (unless you count walmart or Agway).
  4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, I get this question quite a bit... but suprisingly, most customers are very aware that this is how I run a business- it's simple, like any other item you buy at a restaraunt or car dealership. Items are marked up- it's simple. They understand that they do not drive to the nursery, the plant quality is superior, selection better, I transport the material, I install it....blah blah blah. With a few folks, I'm flat-out honest. I tell them (after geting a good questioning) exactly what my cost is on that 2.5" maple... they get it. If they want to beat me down or disagree, I have no time for it. They can put that 300 lb tree in their trunk and pay 275$ for it.
  5. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

i tell them if they want to know get a liscen and insurance become a lco and find out what the discount is. I stoped going to one nursery because they gave my customer (home owners) my discount then my customer said why was i charging what i was. They paid me i dropped them and the nursery luckily we have 8 with in 10 miles of each other
  6. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I never reveal my prices at wholesale or my markup percentage.
    When asked, I always tell them that I am a business, and here to make a profit, just as any retail store. and in the same way that a retail nursery isn't going to reveal or sell you something at wholesale price, neither am I.

The people you want to deal with, will understand and respect that.
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

IF they are price shoppers just walk away, fast...:walking:
  8. brownings

brownings LawnSite Member

Ask them what they want. Are they comparison shopping with you? Tell them that you get top quality plants and trees and you know how to plant them. For that you get paid XXX per plant or per tree.

I keep a retail pricelist in my truck. ( i made it on a spreadsheet) I double or triple the price I pay, then add for the install. Then, if you get a bargain shopper, you can negotiate down and they think they are getting a good deal.
  9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You can tell them that the wholesale discount is based on the amount of volume that you have done with the wholesaler. You should also tell them that the nursery regards it as a priviledge that they extend to their volume customers in the business and shall not be used to shortcut either their retail business or the retailers that they supply by having you or others pass along this priveledge. If you do, you may lose your priveledge.
  10. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

do you think you could pm that list that you made i am just curious what the prices are down there and im just getting into the landscaping side of the business. thanks alot