When customers dont care

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by intimidator782, Mar 30, 2010.

1. intimidator782

intimidator782 LawnSite Member

What do you do when customers dont care about how their lawn looks? I have a couple that could really look nice if i fertilized and did some mulch jobs. The problem is that these people would rather not even have grass. I dont want to put a sign in their yard if there isnt any good grass growing. I always do the best job i can no matter what, i just know i could get them looking a lot better. Should i drop them and find more customers that want their lawns to look good or what?

2. i just keep mowing along, if they don't care it sure doesn't bother me.

3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

as long as they care enough to pay you keep them unless you're so busy you have to pass on the nice ones

4. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

No way. Do not drop them. They are gravy lawns you can just blast through. Keep them real tight of course but easy going customers are a blessing. As long as they pay and don't mind regular grass with some weeds why should you, right? You could suggest some extra care and see if they bite. Just don't put your sign up if you feel it s bad for business. I personally don't think it is a bad thing. The more people see you working the better they think you are and will tell others. We all have diifferent types of lawns and customers, enjoy the variety.

5. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as they are not PITAS or slowpayers, I would not drop them. I have some customers that don't care much about their yards either, they just want the grass mowed. It used to bother me that people did not care, now I wish I had more yards like that. These type of customers never complain and tend to be the more profitable yards on my route. Some will disagree, because there is not much upselling to these clients. But I can bang out these types of yards quickly which makes my hourly rate a little higher on these yards. Just unload, mow, trim, blow, collect payment and go. If you drop these accounts, there will be ten people in line to do these yards.

6. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

It's a business. Do your job and collect your money. You're the lawn guy....don't expect any praise.

7. WholeSaleSteve

WholeSaleSteve Inactive

What do you do when you have customers that don't care about maintaining their ZTRs and never change the oil. I just had a LCO pull into my service dept with a Dixie Chopper and over 400hrs on it without changing the oil!!! UGH!!! sorry for my rant but it irritates me to see good equipment abused espeically by folks that later don't have the money to repair and need the mower to put food on the family dinner table.

8. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

If a customer does not want Cruise Control, does a car dealer refuse to sell them a car? They want the lawn mowed, they just don't want to do it, so they pay you. They just want the meat, and not the gravy.

And hey you don't have to put a sign out there. And anyway, if I had a Lawn Service, the last thing I would want them to do is, decorate MY lawn with their bill boards.

9. KarlP

KarlP LawnSite Member
    from MA

If it is a hobby job to enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise drop them. If you're in it to make money I'd take the attitude that they can keep their lawn brown so long as their money is green.

10. poncho62

poncho62 LawnSite Member

What I would do (maybe I am nuts)....if you have a bit of extra fertilizer, seed etc.....apply it to a corner of their lawn and show them the results......Mention that the whole place could look that good at a reasonable cost....The rest is up to them.