1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When did everybody begin working

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Bleed Green, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you guys start right out of high school or did most of you go to college?
    Also did anybody start their own company right away or just try to get on with someone else to begin with and then go on your own later? What would you guys think would be the best way to go in these two situations- right out of high school or going to college, and working for someone else or starting up on your own?
    I am in college right now and I was wanting to see what other people had done to get into the field that they are in, my dad owns a construction company and I would rather work instead of go to school, but my parents thought that it was important that I go to college.
  2. lkc

lkc LawnSite Member

Go to school.
  3. Bleed Green

i guess if i go to school and finish, i have about one year left I can still go into whatever field I want to and Ill have the college education to fall back on if need be.
  4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I went to high school. I went 5 years to a junior college.......and during that time I started a business - sold it and started another. I went to junior college because my parents wanted me too and that's where the babes were. I have never been formal education oriented. I have always loved business and hated, despised, reading about it in books when guys were out there doing it and I was fighting for gas money and pb n' j's. If I had to do it again, I would be even more adventuresome and do what I knew I wanted to do......business. It is a tough and rocky road that way and not the easiest way to get there and I am most fortunate in alot of ways to still be among the kicking. Do what you want to do......define it, make a plan to get it and implement the plan. Simple.....
  5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I dont want to go to college because I enjoy running the little business we have, but I know going to college will benefit me in the long run, so I am going to go, and plus if the business ever fell out I would have a degree on something to fall back on to try and find a job...
  6. Bleed Green

I would rather be working, but I guess that I see what my parents are advocating finishing school and then going into the work world. I have just always been the kind that did not mind working hard and loved being outside in the dirt and getting stuff done. It kills me to have to go to a classroom when the weather is nice. The thing I don't want though is to go to school and then go into something different than i studied in school. Then I think i will feel guilty that I kind of robbed my parents of that money if I don't go into the field that I studied in school.
  7. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

I started it high school and never looked back and when I got out of high school I used the money I would of used for college for machines.

8. Bleed Green

Like you say it will be something to fall back on if I decide to go into a different field than I studied in school, that is a plus.
  9. Bleed Green

I would have done something like that but my parents thought that the college education was so important. Did they give you the choice minimax?
  10. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I started after 4 year and change in the service and 1 year in college. I was recently married and started with $200.00 a borrowed pick-up truck and a $10.00 push mower from a garage sale. I don't regret it but i do recommend against doing it this way. I took me a long, long time. 3 years to ever make money. I actually made more money selling my first business after 2.5 years than I ever made in it. College, like anything in life is full of theoretical and real life lessons. Stay the course if you can. Subdue your passions and learn all you can about business. If you need start up capital you look better before an investment group or bank with a degree. this industry like others is about making money. What works in other industries applies to ours also. You are never to old or young to jump in. But your degree may vary the level you jump in at. And more importantly how much profit you and your partners one day make. Ever hear of the business alalogy of hauling buckets versus building a pipeline? Best of luck to you.