1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

when did you switch to pm/zspray?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Jul 16, 2007.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

How many accounts did you guys switch from the backpack sprayer to the pm/zspray or did you buy the equipment and then pick up accouts? If you bought the equipment first it seems like the add expense/idle pm/zspray would be a big burden?

I am currently spraying with a backpack sprayer, and am thinking of getting a power spreader/sprayer but can't justify the cost? I would need to pick up more clients to offset equipment purchase and equipment idle time.

what are your thoughts?
  2. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

How you justify the purchase is personal - you might get it because it saves wear and tear on your legs and back, or you might want to increase productivity, or reduce the need for an employee, and so on. If you've only got a few customers, it's probably not worth it. But if you've got some big yards or are planning on growing, it's a good investment. Self propelled spreader/sprayers end up costing about $14 a day if you keep them for 3 years. So can you get $14 a day of usefulness out of one?
  3. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

hell i am a homeowner.with 40k of turf and i went out and got a z-spray jr and its great...i could see how being a buiness owner and not wanting to spend the $ but you will be alot more productive...it would be easy to add some yard if you got one...
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I totally agree with SCLawnDr.

You have to justify it to yourself, but look deeper then just $. Look at time with your family or more time for marketing. Look at the savings on your body! THAT IS BIG!

One of the first things I did starting my lawn business was get a PG. I wanted time on my side.

Was the best move I ever made.

I am a lot more effecient and can cover more area in no time. Can do an acre in about 20 minutes or so. I think you can have a bigger customer base and do a better job with self propelled unit!

At the end of the day if you are pusing a spreader chances are you could be walking a little slower due to being tired. My machine doesn't care what time of day it is, it is running a constant speed and applying accuratly all the time (as long as you pm, maintain equipement and monitor equipment).