1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

when do i get a liscense and insurance??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DillonsLawnCare, Jul 29, 2007.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

im 14 right now and ive got 18 acounts and i was wondering if i needed a liscence for cutting grass. and when do i have to get insurance. thanks

:usflag: :usflag: :weightlifter: :weightlifter: :cool2:
  2. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if you need a license in Tennesee to mow. But you have insurance, and you don't realize it. Your parents insurance company will be gone after, if any claims arise out of your negligence, mis-use, damage, etc. Actually, your parents will get sued, then they will try and involve their homeowners insurance in the claim.
  3. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

The business license requirements are different from place to place. You can check with your municipality, or perhaps the Chamber of Commerce. In most cases a person may not be able to hold a business license until they reach 18 As for insurance, it will all fall back on your Dad because of your age.

You might want to discuss this with your father. If it needs to be done, and to protect family assets, your dad could have the license in his name and so on.

When in doubt..... ask Dad.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I'm sure my answer will be frowned upon, but be a kid. Be the neighborhood kid that cuts the grass. I see kids that cut grass as hard working motivated individuals, but I don't see them as a business.
    Does the kid running the lemonade stand need a permit to operate too?
    You are only 14 right? Worry about getting licensed, insured, etc, when you turn 18 if you are still even interested in cutting grass.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I agree actually...at 14, or even 16, 17, just have fun with it. Nobody will issue you a license or permit at 14 anyway. These are adult things that you worry about when you're an adult.

Funny there were these kids last week, I thought they were selling lemonade, but it was actually a "Candy and Water" stand. I don't know but it just didnt sound right :laugh:
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy LawnSite Member

yeah wait till your 18 to get all that don't worry about it now
  7. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds good to me!

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Well lets see. He is running prograde gear, nice mower better than I had when i was that old, Trimmer prograde, blower prograde. Now 18 accounts, if we figured a mim price of say $ 110. per month he should be grossing about $ 1,980.00 per month based on a yearly figures of cutting 10 months of the year. You would be looking at $ 19,800 yr.

I would say this is a very good start on becomming a real business, Insurance yes business lic yes and well you will now be able to that EIN Number that the IRS gives corporations. Look at being an S Corp / LLC. Talk to A CPA.

Sit down and write up a business plan on just how you will make it too 50 accounts by next season. Good hard work like this shows that he can hit his goals and some day get bigger , so he will not have to relie on any one else but him self, to be able too make his own MONEY.

Nice start ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now get moving and make it grow,
  9. BPLS1993

BPLS1993 LawnSite Member

i started at the age of 14 also, i was just mowing residential lawns just like you i didnt have a liscence or anything, i was the neighborhood kid cutting grass, when i turned sixteen and could drive and haul a trailer around i got an EIN so i could land the homeowners association contract for the common grounds of the development, and at 18 insurance. as of right now congrats on your 18 accounts at 14 yrs old. and dont worry about it at all for a few years, great job on looking into though
  10. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

What a great bunch of thougthful helpful replies. This is how Lawnsite ought to be! I would just add that if you "be a kid" think carefully about every move you make with your equipment. This stuff is powerful and can be deadly to you or passersby. We watched one of the big landscaper guys here shoot rocks directly out of an open shoot on to a well traveled road. This was a grown man who should have known better. Don't let yourself get into these dangerous habits and when you do get insurance you won't have occasion to have use it :D