when do I go for the sulky?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Smitty58, May 5, 2003.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I bought the Exmark 36" w/b and I love it. I no longer need the tread mill thats collecting dust ,but.... how long did you guys go before hooking up a sulky. I've been told the sulky is rough on an older guy (a salesman told me that ,and no I didn't buy anything from him). How long did you all take to get used to the mower before going to the sulky ,and is it easier with or without. I see some guys zooming around and they make it look easy. I'm sure it isn't as easy as it looks. Is there a brand that's better than the rest? Thanks for the help, this forum is great.

2. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Go get it as soon as you can. You'll be glad. It will keep your fatigue level down. I've been using mine just a short while and already can see that not having one would be a mistake. You'll get different opinions on what sytle is best, but I think any of them would serve you well after your on it for a while logging hours. I've got the caster type on my 48 hydro wb. It stays in-line all of the time, which is nice but I have to be aware of being "swung out" when making turns. Just a little adapting, no problem. It is great for backing up - no jack knifing.

3. Smitty58

Thanks Gr Grass, so are you saying your sulky is fixed so that it doesn't hinge? I haven't seen this type ,the only one I've seen is one that hinges both directions. I don't recall the brand ,but it looks like a good one. They are a little pricey (229-279). Do you remember how much the one you have cost and what the brand is? I can see where a fixed one would be easier to back up.

4. Gr grass n Hi tides

I paid $300 for mine at my Lesco dealer. It is a nice sulky. Yup, no hinge. It's got two caster wheels & the base bolts onto both sides of the mower. There's a pin on each side, so it's easy to take off and put on if you want too.

The dealer gave me a great idea - he said a lot of guys were drilling a hole in the center of the place where you stand (between the casters) so the sulky could be raised with a chain attached to the back of the mower to save trailer space.

5. Smitty58

Sounds like a pretty simple design. Do you think a guy could build one? I like the idea of being able to chain it up for extra trailer space. I just picked up a new trailer today. It's a 5x14 with gate. The 6x12 or 6x16 would have been nice ,but I'm planning on leaving it loaded and just backing it into the garage each night. The 5 footer still lets me get the bosses car in the garage.

6. Gr grass n Hi tides

Yeah, you probably could build one. I don't have a shop for such things.....wish I did. If I had a scanner for this computer I'd post a photo for you. You might try www.lesco.com or some other sites to get a feel for the design if you're thinking of fabricating one.

Some other guys on this site might be able to help you with fabricating ideas. Or, call your local lesco or other dealer & ask about used ones. I needed mine fast so I didn't wait out a used one.

7. Smitty58

Thanks Shawn, that Lesco site has a bunch of good stuff. I'd love to hear from others who have fabricated their own sulkys or any ideas about doing one. I might as well try to make one ,what could possibly be the downside of making one that doesn't quite work? Famous last words....it wouldn't be the first time I built something that didn't work out like I thought.

8. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

Smitty,

If you're looking to save some space, a ProSlide might be a good idea. It also stays inline like a castoring sulky, automatically retracts when you don't need it... AND helps a good mower like the eXmark make even better stripes.

Ok, no, I don't have one yet - but have done tons of research over the past months and it's what I'll be putting behind my eXmark w/b.

John Gamba has pictures posted of his ProSlide behind his eXmark here on the site if you do a search. Novae is the maker:
    http://www.novaecorp.com/frame.htm

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'm 53 and love mine. I switch between walking with my trim mower and jumping on the sulky machine. However, I'm assuming by "sulky" you mean "stand on velky". For an older guy, sitting on a real sulky is worse for your "back" than standing on a velky is for your knees. Actually, as you strengthen your legs and stand on your toes instead of flat footing the velky, the ride is fairly smooth and won't bother your knees at all.
    Pete