When do I leave the field?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tbarchaser, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

As the end of my first season is coming to a close I was thinking of jumping out to do sales, maint on equipment and qc.

We are doing around 145k now with 2 trucks and myself in one and my partner in the other. I feel I can control growth, and manage the biz much better if I can do this. The key would be a finding good help (we will save that for another thread).

It looks like I can do 120k per 2 man crew and have that going for spring. Do you guys/gals think its to soon to relinquish control?

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Can you keep yourself busy enough during the season?

3. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Walker, if you can keep yourself busy then go for it.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if you can keep yourself busy, and you know that it will be turned over to a proper manager, then go for it. I did that this past July. Best thing that I ever did

5. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have plenty to do, I don't have enough time to do all of the bids and I would also do installs and those unscheduled projects that pop up. In the event that I have some free time I could always jump on a crew.

6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Slow and steady, you shouldn't have to do this over night, and a few workers at a time, then a crew, so on . . . . .
    Sounds like you're doing very well, congratulations.

7. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I am considering doing the same thing next year. I have a 2 man crew that cuts 5 days a week. I added 30 new customers this season with no advertising accept for one yellow pages add (which only brought in 5 new accounts). The one crew can get everyone cut in a week unless there is a holiday or rain. Then I will take the spare trailer and go out on my own to help them catch up. I figure with some good advertising and sales I should be able to add a second 2 man crew no problem. I two really good guys now so I figure I will split them up and get two more guys.