1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

When do most people get the ole aerator out????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, May 4, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

This is something I have never done, but I have two customers that have called about it... Is it worth the cost for a solo guy to buy one for a few accounts???? Whats the going rate for a 4K SQF yard???

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Rent one, if you are only gonna do two yards.

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I dont know about cool season grasses, but down here, I am starting mine this week. I wait until the grass is greened up, then I aerate and fert/second app of pre-m.

4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't own an aerator yet, so this year I am going to schedule full days of aerating/overseeding (when I have enough demand) and use a rented machine. Right now I have 3 clients giving me the nod for this fall (3rd week of August & later).

The money in it is good, but of course that will vary with the type of seed you use & the rates people in your area can stomach. I'm getting $295 for an 8K property.

There are all sorts of models to choose from when you are ready to buy from $500 (pull behind your tractor style) - $2,500 & more. On my wish list is a $2,200 self propelled at my Lesco dealer.