When do start to put money away!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mack, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Mack

Mack LawnSite Member

Well I just got done paying my sales tax. The wife and I where just talking about when do most of you guys start to see a profit. It seems that everything I make goes right back into the business. I was wounding when do you get to start the nest egg. I was wounding if my prices are to low, or spending to much time traveling around mowing or what I might be doing wrong so I can build my bank account up and not worry about sales tax or visa bill. Then I want to expand but now there is more mowers and insurance you have to have. I would like to know how some of you figure out your expenses and then divide it by the hour.

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

A good CPA may be able to help you with some of these things.

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Put yourself on the payroll, then you'll see money.

4. Just don't do it the Richard Hatch way.

5. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Yesterday!!!!!

6. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I've been in business thirteen years and my personal income has been roughly 60% of my gross receipts each year. i.e. it costs $40,000 to make $60,000

7. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

True you know the old saying IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE IT :dizzy:

8. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying that 20,000 is your income?

9. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

No. Income is roughly 60% of gross receipts. If the business takes in $100,000, personal income is $60,000. This has been my experience with one helper six months of the year. Numbers might be different with more labor, investing more in new equipment, etc.