1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When do the calls come in??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Landscaping, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

How long does it usually take for calls to come in after advertising. Ive only passed out about 200 out of my 10K and only one call from a returning customer. My friend says that i shouldnt worry about it cause most of his customers didnt call until they needed it and it was already long and growing. I need about 160 - $25 customers to reach my goal of paying off my Scag Tiger CUb and buying a F-150 cash. So i am just asking about when other customers call for u guys and if i should worry or not, i dont expect a doze calls from only 200 doorhangers, but i just dont want to pass out 10K and have nobody calling
  2. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

I passed out about 150-200 last year and only got 1 call. The calls will come when weather starts getting warmer.
  3. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Just because you handed out 200 flyers does not mean the calls will start pouring in..What makes you stand out from the rest of your competition? Why should they come to you just because your advertising your business? You need to sell your skills and educate the consumer why they need to chose you and your company. Don't wait for the phone to ring get out there and sell yourself buy making appointments with residential and commercial clients to talk about services you are offering. Advertising alone is not enough in this business.
  4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

160 customers is a tough goal, handeling 160 customers is even tougher. As said in the past, expect a 1.5% return on flyers, remember that the 1.5% is not all going to be all full season maintenance. Flyers are a goldmine for landing 1 time cleanups and mowing jobs when the grass is 10" tall. Find out what works for advertising in your area, concentrate on that, back it up with great service and quality. Obtaining 160 new customers will take a good amount of advertisng and operating cash. I would consider 50 new full season accounts off 10,000 flyers to be a success and a realistic number. Good luck
  5. jdkatz

jdkatz LawnSite Member

I think it really depends on the weather in your area. I have only passed out about 150 door hangers and have landed 2 new contracts. Most folks will call when they go out and want to BBQ with their Friends. Here in FL the weather is good enough for year round care, Not to busy during Jan and Feb, but enough. Another thing that I think helps me down here is I live right outside of the city and the subdivisions never stop increasing.
  6. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

You will probably get calls a week or two after they really really need you.:waving:
  7. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

I believe it's still too early. I made the mistake of starting to advertise on the third week of February last year. I did'nt begin to recieve any calls untill the first week of April. I wasted around $300.00. I'm not running any ads untill the third week of March this year. I'll begin clean ups on existing customers the first week of March weather permitting.
  8. Wayne Landscaping

Yeah, well this area must be different cause we got 40 account out of 3K flyers, and its not how many am i gunna get that i am asking u, its after u guys pass out doorhnagers, how long does it take for the customers to call.
  9. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

160 "new" accounts. How many total. I agree 160 accounts is very hard to manage. How many men do you have working for you. How many crews? 27 lawns on a 6 day week? Remember Quality not Quantity!
  10. Wayne Landscaping

Well, we have a $3750 week goal, i ahve anouther partner helping me. We were gunna do 43 each weekend and about 15 each weekday. We just have 1 crew but many other companies that we network to help us.