When do we bid for commercial contracts?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DR. Lawns, Jun 23, 2005.

1. DR. Lawns

DR. Lawns LawnSite Member

I see everyone writing about commercial contracts, and I would like to get into the action. However, I don't want to look like an idiot and try bidding for a contract when its too late.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well man I dunno, this is my 4th year and I don't do contracts because I'm not familiar with them and they do NOT excite me.
    But if contracts are your thing, then by all means...

Still, what always scared me about contracts is you can get royally skru'd (especially in your first 2-3 years, it can put you out of business faster than it will help you stay in it).
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

You should have stopped right there........

Do you have any personal experience with exactly what you've just stated above?

Or are you just spouting mis-information to up your post count? ;)

Sure it you're an idiot and do not have any idea of your cost's, you can get into trouble, but most people would not have to lose on to many contracts before they wised up and made some adjustments on their bidding process.

I've been doing this for 6 years now and EVERY single job I've ever had save maybe 3 have been done according to a contract. I've only lost money on a couple maybe three occasions.

Having a contract is THE ONLY way to be sure you are covered, legally for payment on the work you perform. < That's a period. Contracts do not guarantee you will get paid but they dramatically reduce the chances of non-payment. I cannot remember a time where I've not been paid for a job. Something about having a lein on your house makes people pay up.....eventually.

Having a contract lets the customer know in writing EXACTLY what work you will do and exactly how much money it's going to cost. One thing for sure, if you ever do have to take a client to court over payment you better have a contract or you will not get paid. Court's do not recognize handshake or gentleman agreements.

People around here want a contract, I could not/would not do business without them.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Many of the commercial contracts I have bid on were put out for bid in late fall/early winter at the end of the season, few are put out very early in the spring.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi DR. Lawns,

It never hurts to walk into an office and ask. Hand them a business card and make your first connection with them.
  6. DR. Lawns

DR. Lawns LawnSite Member

I appreciate the replies. I guess ambition always pays.
  7. Miller Rules

Miller Rules LawnSite Member

Where do you find out whos taking bids?
  8. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Make some visits and phone calls.I usually start in the early fall.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Walk in the front door and ask who to talk to about putting in a bid on the property maintenance.
  10. Scottish LScape

Scottish LScape LawnSite Member

I picked up 3 (18 house) condo's like this. Use your rain days wisely.