1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When do you bid on the commercial lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by punk_rockin2001, Sep 11, 2007.

1. punk_rockin2001

punk_rockin2001 LawnSite Member

I am currently going around bidding on commercial properties in my area. When do most of you do it? Logically you'd think Feb-March, but the company around here that basically has the area on lock down makes everyone sign in Aug-Sept. The guy probably has 60% of the lawns that hire out, and the other 40% aren't exactly the kind you want. So when I go to the lawns he doesn't have they look at me like I'm an idiot, and basically politely tell me to come back in Feb or March, or leave a bid and call back in 5 months. So what do all of you do when you are bidding. Do you have a "bidding season"? Any comments will be appreciated!
  2. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

I am still trying to figure this one out myself.
    Last year I went out in Feb/march and could not even get people to talk with me. Then on this site,was told that you need to go out in Aug/sept for the next year. Did that this year and I am still waiting to hear, although about six out of about 70 said to contact them in the spring.Go figure. I think you need to do both.
  3. punk_rockin2001

punk_rockin2001 LawnSite Member

I think you need to do both also. I am just keeping detailed notes about the conversations I have w/the people I speak with, and will just have to go out of my way a little to make everyone happy. But thats what its all about at first anyway.
  4. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

I was wondering the same question.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

anytime, anywhere, and anyplace. Always advertising. Especially for commercial. Network, network, network.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Every business has their own way. But yes, go out right now and contact and find out when the bidding processes start. Then, WRITE IT DOWN. About a month or so before they are taking bids, check back in.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Anymore I find if I want something bad, it's best to let it come to me without further ado on my part, the more I try and mess with trying to get it, the worse I find myself compromised later.

So I wait until they call me, that's apparently the right time. :)

Not a bad idea in my book, so long your name's out there you should get a call sooner or later.
  8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

The best time for HOA accounts is now....most comm. account I would say now....Most company's are trying to get their 08 budget in-order as we speak. I just started sending out courtesy/Intro letters to prospective Comm. accounts just to let them know that We are in interesting in Servicing their common areas for 08. If I get a response, I will have the bid complete within 24hrs of first notice.....I need to have my winter to my family and myself so I started getting my bids in early....If I hear back I am happy as all out, if I don't it was meant to be....I need to add at least 30% of bids I have put out. Good luck guys....
  9. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

what do you include in the intro letter that you send. how do you know who to send it 2? for instance: a townhouse community. who do you call and ask for landscape bidding?
  10. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

Contracts can end on any given time in the year. So call new comms. consistantly and when you find out contract maturity, write it down like quickcuts said.

I usually ask for the person in charge of property maintenence, punkrock.