When Do You Bill?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TYTILIDIE, Sep 3, 2013.

1. TYTILIDIE

TYTILIDIE LawnSite Member

I have always billed my commercial clients at the end of the month. I have picked up 8 properties since June and four of them are from one property manager. Oddly enough, she asked me today in an email why do I bill at the end of the month and that most landscapers bill her at the beginning of the month. I like that idea and think it would fabulous for cash flow but I have a feeling my other property managers may not like that.

So to be clear, if you pick up a property and start it October 1st then you would bill October 1st for October.

Thoughts?

2. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

There have been quite a few threads about this subject and there's a split some people do it at the beginning of the month, some at the end.

3. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Always in advance. One time cuts or service, upon completion of work.
    easy-lift guy

4. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Commercial I bill in advance. Residential gets billed at end of month since they frequently want stuff done that really isn't part of mowing service. This used to drive me nuts, finally decided OK I'll just add it to the bill.

5. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

I bill in advance at the beginning of the month. Dropped them all in the mail yesterday due to the holiday. 95% of customers usually pay up within 2 weeks.

One time jobs are billed upon completion.

6. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I bill in the middle of the month for some and at the end of the month for the accounts I do for a couple of the "nationals"

7. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

most commercials are on contracts which have all the projected work for the year totaled and divided by 12 into equal installments...one billed each month..
    in your case, I would bill on Oct 1 and expect payment by the 20th...

no billing after the fact and its not exactly billing before the work is completed...

its levelized billing; allowing you to expand and grow--

8. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

At the very end of the month we send out the bill for the services we did that month. It is due by the 20th of the next month or there is a $10 late fee.